icon

mono amps - What do you use? - Why

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

What mono amps are you guys using and why do you prefer them?

I am using a Kicker KX1200.1 Class D amp. I designed my trunk/ amp rack to mount 2 of them. One for each sub. and 1 300.4 for highs and mids.

I am 100% satisfied with it and everyone I know wants one after having there brain rattled in my back seat. I run it at 1.33 ohms and it barely gets warm. The fan will eventually come on if I am just sitting there pounding at full potential for like 20 minutes with a "heavy bass" cd. And I mean really pounding where you cannot be in the car unless you want ear damage. One friend insisted on sitting in there and he couldn't speak while in there because of the vibrations of his head. Then he went partially deaf for the rest of the day. I know that's a stupid thing to do and I wouldn't do it. I used to do that to myself when I was 18 with my 1 Punch pro 18 in the correct size box which took up the entire trunk of my 72 Chevelle. I knew nothing of sound deadener then so all the rattle was extra show to memono amps - What do you use? - Why -- posted image.

My pevious big amp was an Alpine MRV-1507 which did a great job but nothing compared to this!!!!!!!

Anyone who has heard that the 1200.1's are too big, maybe didn't realize that you can remove the front cover and lose about 8" for mounting in tight places. I made use of the cool looking covers and mounted my 1200.1 and 300.4 next to each other and it looks really nice. 

Angel

boom, boom, boom boom....
sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
I like the mono block planet audio's myself I hooked one up to four 15's on an install a few weeks ago and it really hit hard I think they are very powerful and priced decent
sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
I like the mono block planet audio's myself I hooked one up to four 15's on an install a few weeks ago and it really hit hard I think they are very powerful and priced decent
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

have you ever had an SPL meter test done,that sounds ridiculous

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
In my personal installs I use Diamond Audio or Eclipse for amps.  Rite now I have a D7104 for my mids and highs (MB quart Q' S) and a D7402 for my 2 Eclipse Titanium’s. I have tried many different manufactures and in my opinion Diamonds amps give you some of the cleanest dynamic sound you can get. 
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

I will SPL as soon as I get ahold of a meter and finish applying the two more bulk paks of dynamat xtreme. I get them for $100 in town from an ebayer named webtroi if you are interested. About $120 shipped. These 2 boxes make 6 for my whole car.

It is pretty rediculousmono amps - What do you use? - Why -- posted image.

I have 3 6 inch ports through my rear deck that are covered with factory  speaker covers in matching color with my 2 tone palomino/black interior. They really help the bass travel through the car.

Believe it or not, my final goal is 2 of these 1200.1's running 2 jl 7's in a custom 4th? order box that will be attatched to the ports in my rear deck. Then I will be cool.

I have a great mounting technique for people with recessed spare tires. First, build a box with a downward sloping face.xt mount the front on heavy duty hinges and make sure you allow for clearance between top of box and bottom of rear deck when tilted. Then go get 1 or 2  chrome plated, keyed locking hasps fromyour hardware store to mount the rear. And you can use tjose rubber feet underneath if you like but I hav never found the necessary.  It works GRRRREEAAAT!

BTW, its really nice chatting with all of you about our common interest!

A

chase84720 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
I Have a rockford 1000.1 bd  pretty good power but i have had to send it in for repair three times in the past year.   pretty pissed about that!
chase
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
one word.   EARTHQUAKE!!! lol my friend has one too, its amazing. its really old and hes taking extra extra care for it
xTimx
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

If I could have physically fit the Diamonds into the MR2, they would have been there, instead I used Xtant, my next bet would have been Eclipse. A really good Class D mono amp that has been out for years, that is tried and true is the Crossfire 1000 watt mono, the current model VR1000d, predesessed by the BMF1000d and CFA1000d. All of these amps laid waste to all comers at the time. They ae one of the older class D designs on the market today and not enough people consider them, too bad, they offer alot to the user.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
I had to majorly resize these,mono amps - What do you use? - Why -- posted image. but here's a couple of pics of my install....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic