the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

18 inch subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ull3030 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

I recently burnt one of my Kicker Comp Vr 18 inch subs.  I have two comp vr 18's with two MTX 1501 amplifers.  I was wondering what other sub would work but comparable in price.  I also looked at planet audio subs, their 18's look like a cerwin vega stroker.    I do not want to change the boxes, I have almost 6 cubic feet per sub.  The ports are tuned to around 34 hz.  Does anyone think it would be worth to rebuild the burnt kicker sub?

Thanks for any help

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
wow that sounds like a lot of air space for 2 subs,   what were the specs on them? are you looking for SPL? are you competing?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
How funny, this post was directly below your post.  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=25788&PN=1  Apparently these take about 6 cu ft.  I have no idea about tuning frequency or anything, though.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
What about some Kicker solo barics, they need roughly that amount of volume in a box, youd have to convert yur circle cut-out diameter to a square,yet you'd be impressed, if your looking for SPL that is. Personally, Im more into SQ.
1983 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER K35 & K410 Speakers
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 1200W Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 800W 12" HE2
ull3030 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replys

I decided to go with the planet audio subs.  I will be using a pair of 15" subs instead of the 18".  My local dealer has a pair of FU-15 subs in stock.   I was told that the Planet audio FU series is comparable to the Cerwin Vega Stroker.  Looking at the sub they are almost identical.  My dealer stated the SQ is better with the planet audio then the strokers. The price for the planet audio 18" subs at my dealer are over $600.00 per sub.  The 15" subs are not far beneath that price.  I never heard any good reports about the solo baric subs.  In my area all the people that I know that use the solo barics have continous problems.  If you read the specs on a Kicker sub they do not compare to other major brands that are comparable on price.  I still like Kicker but I also like planet audio, and its time for a change.

HeathMac 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

kicker not as good as planet audio? wow have i gottn drunk fell and bumped my head and woke up in wacky  land?

ull3030 
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
HeathMac wrote:

kicker not as good as planet audio? wow have i gottn drunk fell and bumped my head and woke up in wacky  land?

Does your head still hurt? lol

I still own a lot of Kicker products, but I will try the planet audio subs.  I owned Planet Audio subs before and I burnt both of them.  I do not remember the model but they were the cheapest line that they make.  The sub that I am purchasing is their flagship model.  I should have the install completed within two weeks.  I will let yall know how good it works.

ull3030 
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

I have one Planet Audio FU 15 sub hooked up.  I have it in a 3 cubic feet box with a round port tuned to 39 hz.  It moves a lot of air and sounds ok for a spl sub.  Does anyone think I should change the tuning frequency?

Thanks

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

planet audio is better than kicker.  no your still on earth...

You should have looked into the adire audio brahma or tempest.  brahma is 380, and is a darn good sub, plays cleans and hits.

If you want more, eclipse titanium 15 would be the choice.

I havent heard much about planet audio, so i couldnt tell you a thing. They look kool tho.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
ull3030 
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

MAXST wrote:

I went with what is available at my local dealer.  None of the products that you listed are available here.  I like to support my local area dealers.  So far the planet sub is moving a whole lot of air, I only have one hooked up now and I will install the second within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the reply

planet audio is better than kicker.  no your still on earth...

You should have looked into the adire audio brahma or tempest.  brahma is 380, and is a darn good sub, plays cleans and hits.

If you want more, eclipse titanium 15 would be the choice.

I havent heard much about planet audio, so i couldnt tell you a thing. They look kool tho.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic