the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

bass blockers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
i just added 2 subs and an amp and have the amp set to low cross at 80hz. Should i add bass blockers to the front and rear speakers? if so, which or both? and what frequency should be blocked at for both?
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
I've sold bass blockers as a salesman, but as an installer I've never really used them. Some of the high end head units have a feature where you can change the frequency through the speakers. 
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, add them, if it saves your speakers it is a good investment. Sounds like Teamrf needs to have a talk with the salespeople or recommend it himself. A pair of basic bass blockers are better than nothing if the deck does not have a crossover that will work with the built in amp. A pair of 200mf caps (non polar - mylar) would be the best bet for you, it is a approx a 200hz crossover with a 6db slope and goes in line on the positive lead to the speaker.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
erinh 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
so now that 80-200hz is blocked... will i really be "missing" anything? like will i really hear a difference or will it just help save the speakers? by the way forbidden, i should add these to my front and rear right?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

You will be saving your speakers from almost certain death. This is beacuse all of your speakers can play all frequencies, some (subs for example) play frequencies, like bass notes with much more force than that of 1 4" or 6x9" speaker. What happens is that the distortion coming out of the smaller speakers is masked by that of the more powerful subwoofer, then all of a sudden one day, no rear or front speaker.

The frequencies do not automatically disappear from the audio spectrum, they are rolled off. Most vehicles have a natural midbass hump around this area as well, it helps to fill in the void that is created. At the same time just because you have your crossover in the amp set at 80hz does not mean that the audio response has hit a brick wall and it stops, it too rolls off, usually at a higher rate than basic caps on your speakers. And yes they should be added to the front and rear speakers, what size are the speakers that you are using?

erinh 
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

the front door speakers are pioneer ts-a1664 4ohm, rear deck speakers are pioneer ts-a6963 4ohm, and the subs are rf punch rfz3812 8ohm speakers.

by the way where can i purchase these capacitors cheap?

erinh 
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
oh and the front are 6 1/2'' and rear are 6x9''
forbidden 
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
For the 6x9" speakers, you can use a cap value of 260 mf to 150mf (crossover point of approx 150hz to 260hz), for the front speakers a value of 200mf to 100mf (crossover point of 200hz to 400hz) should suffice. They can be found at Radio Shack or pretty much any electronic repair shop or specialty car audio shops. Some car audio shops will stock a bass blocker that is a little better as well, it operates with a 12db / octave slope, if you can find them that is great, if not use the basic caps.
erinh 
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
do you have any links for the parts at radio shack? i looked there but all of them are way smaller values than what you say... they are all in micro or pico values.
forbidden 
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Unless you are in Canada, I cannot provide you with an ACCURATE link to a Radio Shack item. You should be lloking for a cap with microfarad values, ie 200microfarad.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic