icon

Ever had an EQ/Xover fail?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

AudioControl EQQ (damn fine 4-channel 11 band EQ) has failed me.  I don't know how long it's been bad...probably forever...but I thought the problem was in my Clarion HXD10.  Turns out, the EQQ (in-line after the HXD10, before the 4XS which leads to the JBL P80.4) was boosting the hell outta the right channels while cutting the hell outta the left channels.

:confused:

I was trying to set my gains last night using the multimeter and a 95 - 100 Hz test tone.  I turned off all equalization on the EQQ and still ended up with like 12.6 (what I was looking for) V AC on the right channels, but only like 4.8 V AC on the left channels. 

Swapped RCAs and what not only to find that the EQQ was the problem. :mad:  When I completely bypassed the EQQ and took the RCA's straight from the deck to the JBL P80.4, I got 7.5V AC on the right channels and 8.5V AC on the left channels (or maybe vice versa).  But the point is that the EQQ was severely boosting the right channels while severely cutting the left channels.

This ever happen before to anyone?  It goes without asking that the EQQ is defective, now...right?  No balanced line BS or anything to cause that, right? Dammit! :mad:

So I've removed the EQQ from the system and now my Front and Rear pre-amp outputs run directly to the AudioControl 4XS.  There was still a problem with the RCA signals being unbalanced like hell, but I was able to defeat that by putting the weaker left channels on the Front channels of the JBL P80.4 and the stronger right channels on the rear channels of the 80.4.  Since I'm using all 4 channels xover before the amp, I'm able to adjust the gains on the front channels to match the gains on the rear channels to get all 4 channels pushing out approx. 12.6V AC.

But now, one of my front channels is fuxored. :mad:  I'm looking into some new xovers.  I don't know if I fed the AudioControls with too much clipped voltage or what...but somehow it seems that the 4XS is also damaged to some degree as much as the EQQ. :(

Anybody ever have anything similar like this happen?  Any ideas on what caused such a fiasco in my outboard EQ/Xovers?  Both Audicontrol units were purchased used so it could be that they were fuxored at acquisition.

:confused:

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

I have had an occasional bad Audio Control piece, mainly Epicenters, nut not many warranty claims at all. It sounds like you have done your research thorough enough to narrow down the conclusion, time for a warranty claim.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic