icon

2000 cavalier stock stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slugless7 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have done tons of 2k and up GM cars, as long as you don't mind the loss of door chime and you dont have onstar you shouldnt have a problem. One other thing is that if you have the same harness as a 98 cavalier then you shouldnt worry about it because thats not the radio that has those features anyway. only if you need the 70-2003 wiring harness (metra) would you need to worry about running a switched wire or any other funny things GM threw in there to make our lives as installers difficult.
oose 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
That is all Bullsh*t! - I installed an Alpine in my 2001 cavalier
The only thing you lose by not using the T harness (used to relocate the stock deck) is the door chime - THAT'S ALL!
The keyless entry is NOT connected to radio, neither is the airbag - the only thing you have to do run a switched wire from the fuse box - GM uses the BCM to turn the radio on.
Don't believe everything everyone tries to tell you -
Peace Out!
Metra Tech 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

This is a very confusing system to understand and I receive at least 10 calls on a day on this very subject. Let me explain this so you all understand and please understand I am not biased towards any way. Do these vehicles as you may, it doesn't matter to me.

On a class 2 data system which started in 1996 on Cadillacs, 2000 on GM's, when you start the vehicle, the computer sends out a signal to all pieces on the data line. Once the first module on the data system receives a signal, it then sends back a signal to the computer to let it know it's good. From there it goes to the next module and so on. Now if a module was not there or went defective, it may send the computer into a frenzy. Anything on the data bus after that piece will not work as the computer does not go farther than the fault. That is why the most important modules like fuel and such are first on the data bus. Most vehicles do not put important modules behind the radio on the data bus, but Cadillac and Pontiac are known to do so. So this is why the more features your vehicle has, the more problematic it can be. Now what nobody knows and GM does not announce is where  the airbag is on the data bus. Another problem according to calls I receive is when you leave the radio out or the computer is an a frenzy, the dealerships computer interface will not allow it to access the system. False or not I do not know , but I do receive calls that say this from people that do not use the proper harness. I know dealerships will use any excuse to void the warranty.

Now that's class 2 in a nutshell. Stay tuned for the new and improved GM LAN system!

For those who would like to use a wiring harness to keep the delayed accessory feature, keep chimes, turn Bose amps on, and not have problems when your car is being serviced, use these part numbers;  GMRC-01 for the base system, GMOS-01 for base systems with On-Star, GMOS-02 for the Bose amped systems with or without On-Star, GMOS-03 for the systems with a Delco or Monsoon amp.

And of course we have the relocation harness, 70-2003t with the SP-2003 speaker and the On-Star relocation harness, 70-2005.

One side note before I leave, not all 2000 GM's are class 2. In 2003 most are but not all. A common vehicle I get that is not is the S-10. Also, RDS does not mean it is class 2. This is a tuner feature. An easy way to tell if it is class 2 is to check for an accessory wire. If it does not have one, it is a class 2 vehicle(Corvette is an exception, it is not).

I hope this clears up any questions anyone has and if you have any more questions please post back.                                                                                                                     

lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

peripheral now has a harness that you can use and not have to retain the factory radio. they are not cheap but you save so much time on the installation.

here is the link:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/cd_changer_autos/instructions/peswix%20inst%209-23-02.pdf

lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

opps, sorry wrong link....

here is the correct one:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/onstar.asp

Metra Tech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
With the modules I referred to; GMRC-01, GMOS-01, GMOS-02, GMOS-03 you DO NOT have to leave the radio in the car.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
thank you, Metra Tech for having the patience to explain this phenomenon finally! i can't tell you how many times i've had to explain this to customers myself that don't care and don't want to understand.
according to what i've been told, part of the car's BCM memory for the airbag deployment system is held in the factory h/u....if the h/u is not there, that doesn't mean that the airbags won't work, but they can no longer be relied upon to work in the fashion that they're supposed to. also, when the dealership plugs their OBD equipment into your car for diagnostics, they won't be able to get accurate info. i'm sure they won't lose much sleep over using this as an excuse to void your warranty.
but then again, if indeed you have the same harness in your car as a 98 cavalier, then this shouldn't be something that you have to worry about. while it is true that the class 2 data system started in 2000 for cavaliers, your vehicle may have a production date that just missed it.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
btw, for those people that have removed the factory h/u on a vehicle that has this class 2 data system, you're absolutely correct....you won't notice any troubles or an differences whatsoever (other than the loss of the door chime and delayed accessory). it's just that the cost and work associated with relocating the h/u or using those interface modules really aren't all that high.....why bother to take the risk of losing your warranty?
Metra Tech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
One thing to add here. Like I said earlier, it all depends on where they put the radio on the data bus line. I have had all kinds of calls here at Metra from these vehicles from vehicles not starting(Caddy Deville), to gauges failing after 30 minutes(Pontiac Gran Prix). It's nothing in the factory radio that causes these problems, it's the computer brain of the vehicle freaking out because a piece of the data puzzle isn't there. So yes there are a few vehicles you HAVE TO keep the radio in the vehicle.
oldsmobileman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Makes you wanna flip burgers....WHat about running all new wires?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic