icon

Speaker and Amp wiring info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joeybenz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 Diamond 12 inch speakers(diamond 12D4 - impedance(8 ohms)) and a Rockford Fosgate amp (Power 1050s) can someone please tell me the best way to wire this up.  I don't know if i should bridge of use each channel.  If anyone has a visual illustration it would be helpful haven't did this in a while and i'm alittle nervous to just start wiring stuff up.

Thanks for the help

Joe

Joe Bennudriti
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

Your amp is the monster 2 channel from Rockford. You are best to bridge the amplifer to mono, download a manual for this amp or a similar amp like the Power 1051s to see how to bridge the amp if you do not have the manual ( www.rockfordfosgate.com)

To wire the subs you need a series / parallel circuit, this means that the amp is going to look at your two subs as actually being one. You need to first wire each sub in series as the sub should be a dual voice coil (right?) Think of the sub as actually being two subs, thus you have two inputs on one sub, we need to get these wired together. Each sub therfor will have 2 + and 2 - terminals on it. Connect the + from voice coil 1 to the - on voice coil 2. This is a series circuit, it makes the sub an 8 ohm load to the amp. Do the same wiring to the second sub. Here is the easy part, now we hook them all in parallel. You should have 1+ and 1- left unused on each sub for a total of 2 + and 2 - terminals. These now all get hooked together to the appropriate terminals on the amp, meaning, hook all + speaker terminal that have not been used together and hook to the positive terminal on the amp that is used when bridged. Do the same for the negative terminals. You should now have the two subs wired together and have no terminals left unused on either sub and only one set of wires going to the amp. Rockford will have a wiring wizard on their site if this confuses you. To check the circuit before you hook it up to the amp, connect the two speaker wires, one + and one - to a small battery, + to + and - to -. (small as in AA or up to Dsize). The speaker cones will move in one direction, if they both move in the same direction at the same time you are good to go. DO NOT HOLD THE SPEAKER WIRES TO THE BATTERY, hold one terminal only in direct contact to the battery and just touch the other for a breif instant to cause the speaker cones to move.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

Your subs are dual 4-ohm voice coils, and your amp is 4-ohm stable when bridged.  I suggest you wire the subs for 8 ohms each (both voice coils in series) and then connect these two subs in parallel to your amp in bridged mode.  This will give the amp a 4-ohm load and should work out well.  This image is taken from the JL Audio web site and shows the conenction I am describing:

Speaker and Amp wiring info -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic