icon

What kind of fuse?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amickracing 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sure some of the choice is personal preference, but I'll ask anyway.
For my headunit I plan on running a 10ga wire to it for power, and of coarse it'll have to be fused. I'm hoping to add a fuse block that uses the same kind of fuses I already have in my truck (maxi and mini), but I wouldn't mind using the ATC type either (since a lot of vehicles use them, and I have a ton of the fuses laying around). I don't want special fuses or hard to come by fuses. Would a ATC fuse be sufficient for powering a head unit (alpine 9815)? I have a decent grip on how to size the fuses (amps), just not sure what kind of fuses will supply the current needed.
I also plan on using the other fuse slots for various other things also, and the atc fuse blocks are pretty easy to find.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
Why in the hell do you want to use a 10ga wire to your deck. A good rule of thumb is that if you are tapping in to a pre existing wire such as those comming out of the Alpine harness than using a wire of a larger gauge is usless and has no benifint. If you want to run a wire from the battery to your head unit than dont use a wire any larger than the one comming out of the deck. I supose you could go one gauge bigger to compansate for the run distance but other wise its kinda useless
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
hey raven.. that didnt answer his question at all you do know that right? Now, to amick, i'm not exactly sure what an ATC type fuse is. Why dont you just use the existing wire from the car? that line is already fused for you in the fuse box? Just asking. Also, even though his post didnt help you at all, he was right about the wire. 10 ga, is overkill for a head unit. good luck man.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry I wasnt very clear there. I was kinda trying to suggest just using the factory wire but I did a very poor job of getting my point across. Sorry bout that
amickracing 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
ATC fuses are blade fuses, and they are the middle sized ones (mini being smaller and maxi being larger).
I want to run 10ga wire to the deck because it calls for it according to alpine. This is for the deck amp mostly I believe, and I can see how the tiny wires that are stock probably wouldn't flow enough to give it clean power. I haven't seen the deck yet, but I'm kind of guessing it just has a lug on the back to attach this wire too. If it indeed just does have a 16ga wire or something coming out of the harness, then I'd agree going bigger is probably a waste of time.
Thanks guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic