icon

Need some opinions on painting tools

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking to buy either a air compressor with a paint gun extension or a wagner powershot. The wagner powershot is way cheaper. Is it meant for painting fiberglass jobs with polyester primers and paints? I need some opinions, thanks...
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I am not sure about the wagner powershot, but if it is what I am thinking, then it is just meant for latex paint. Stuff like painting a fence, painting a wall inside.... if it is what I am thinkin of anyways.
As far a compressor and gun go, it really depends on what you all want to do with teh gun. To do a real good, high quality car style paint job, you are going to need a 220v compressor and a pretty good gun. at least 9cfm @ 60 psi (I think its 60 PSI) If you dont have proper ventilation, you arent going to want to spray any type of urethane paint though. If you just want to paint one item, I would suggest renting a paint system or else taking it somewhere to get done
to spray polyester resin, you need a special gun that mixes as it sprays. If you mix the MEKP and Resin before, and try to spray it out of the gun, you will do one of two things, wreck the gun, or not have it spray right. YOu need to get a gun that will mix the catalyst and resin as it sprays. I am not sure the CFM that a gun like that uses, but I imagine that it will use around 12 CFM at 60psi. That would require a pretty pricey compressor.
I guess it all depends on what you want to use it for. If you are going to be doing a lot of it, or doing it commercially, I would say get a compressor. Get a large horse compressor, HVLP gun for paint, a plain spray gun for primer, a chop gun for mat, and a 2 part spray gun for the resin.  Then you could also use the compressor for other things, as well as not having to compromise on anything.
Just remember that to get the proper CFM for painting, you need 220v outlet for the compressor. You cant get a highenough horse motor on a 110v outlet. By cheaping out on the compressor, you can really put yourself back in the long run
so hopefully my rambling has at least helped you a little. I would suggest going on google and reading as much as you can about compressors, guns, spraying resins and urethane paint.
hopefully someone can post about that wagner gun
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the wagner gun i guess would be for only latex paints. Thanks for all the info.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic