icon

Diamond Audio TDX 12D4 Sealed Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to design an enclosure for the Diamond Audio TDX 12D4.  I'm thinking sealed, but I'm not 100%.  I hate how ported enclosures always seem to have this peak frequency where they are way louder, I don't like the way it sounds.  But they are so much louder.  So I will ask a few things:

Does anyone know what the sealed volume should be for this sub?

Can Anyone attest to the SQ differences between sealed and ported with this sub?  And can you get a ported enclosure with a more mellow frequency curve, with less peak.

Is VB ft^3 a representation of enclosure volume? 

Whats a good shape for this box?  I was thinking a wide rectangle with the sub mounted at one end of it, and with the rear of the enclosure slanted. 

I want this sub to pound, but SQ is more important to me. 

sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
here is the link for the specs and the dimensions you need for the sealed and vented enclosures http://www.diamondaudio.com/Files/products/TDXmanual%5Frev2%2Epdf Go to this site and all your questions will be answered.  Hope that helps...
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Just to add a little based on some of your questions, yes, a ported enclosure will have a peak at a desired frequency.  This is their purpose.  The reason they can produce higher SPL is because they are tuned to pump out a lot of air at a specific frequency (or frequency band.)  They can be designed with a more general, mellow response curve, however.  It is all in how the port is sized and how the enclosure is baffled inside.  If, as you say, SQ is more inportant to you, then there is no better option than a sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosure.  Especially with a high quality driver like the Diamond, sealed is definately the way to go for critical listening.  Beware of building a long rectangular "tube" shaped enclosure with the driver mounted in one of the short walls, as this can produce a very unnatural ringing sound and can actually damage the woofer by allowing it to be over-driven if the enclosure is not perfect.  Mount the sub on one of the long walls instead.
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry if I was unclear, but I do intend to mount the sub on one of the long walls, all the way to one side of it.   But what differences would i notice between a .55 ft^3 and a 2.5^3 enclosure.  It will be louder and looser the bigger the box gets right?  Does anyone have a box size suggestion?  Something that works well.  I want SQ, but I also want it to be loud. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

In general, a smaller enclosure will dampen a woofer more and will limit the woofer's ability to reproduce lower frequencies, but allow it to handle more power.  The TDX 12" will hit about 45 Hz in a tiny .55 CUFT enclosure but be able to handle close to 1200 watts.  It'll easily get down to 30 Hz (or lower) in a huge 2.5 CUFT enclosure, but will only be able to handle about 500 watts.  It will play louder with more power, not necessarily because of the size of the enclosure.

I've used this woofer many times and love it's sound quality.  I recomend you target your enclosure for about 1.5 to 1.75 CUFT sealed (and well braced.)  This woofer will rock in that size enclosure and will take around 1KW (1000 watts) before it complains.

fintheman 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  

I just built a box for mine, I *think* its about 1.6 cubes.

I added an 1 inch to the base, but I took 1.5 inches from the sides (I forgot that the top will be supporting that)

-fin 

Serving the country, one coffee at a time.
USAF!
fintheman 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm...well, I did add two braces...so 1.4-1.5ish
Serving the country, one coffee at a time.
USAF!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic