icon

window rollup module not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
coolcat14 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a "smart" window rollup module from asian wolf.  The module can roll my 2 windows up and down.  Well, the thing is it doesn't do that.  It will put my left window all the way down when the truck is running and stop there not even trying to put the right one down.  I try to put up my windows (all this via remote) and they won't budge.   Now if the engine is not running the left one goes down about 3 inches stops then proceeds to roll down the right window 3 inches and stops.  I try to put the windows up and they will go up in the same fashion that I described above, about 3 inches and stopping.

• 1.What changes whether the vechicle is running or not for the up operation?  In fact I did this:  the input to move the window is (-) so I grounded the wire while the truck was running and nothing.  As soon as I turned off the engine the windows tried to go up!!  My constant 12 is constant so no problem there and my ground is good.  What could cause this I have no idea.
  • 2. Why doesn't the module roll my windows all the way down while the truck is not running?  This is why I bought in the first place.

I am very sure that it is installed properly.  I'm thinking the unit is crap but I wanted to check here if anything would come up.

Thanks-

Chris

Save a Tree
Kill a Beaver
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
what is the yr of the truck
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
Elrockss 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
My Friend,
This whole operation is triggered by your alarm, obviously. Don't make the mistake of blaming the truck, when the windows operate as normal from the trucks window switches, yes?! It's the way in which you have the Module and output trigger wired, and the pulsed/latched settings on the alarm trigger option for the output your using. Verify that you are in fact using a "ground when armed" only output. I am also using the same unit from the same merchant- no problems. I would further guess that if you still have the motor wires "tapped" with the module's control wires instead of truly passed through the module, this would create the confused "reverse polarity show" you are experiencing. One other item of note, if by chance you are tapping a pulse/lock window switch circuit where the drivers window rolls all the way down when triggered, this can in some instances cause the module to freak. A diode or two can take care of that with ease. Take a deep breath, and go back to your tie in points and make sure you have the module's motor and switch wires correct as I mentioned,and that the settings for the alarm output are set such that you have at least 3sec. on the trigger's operation. These sound like the culprit.
I hope this helps. window rollup module not working -- posted image.
elrock-SS
coolcat14 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

The truck is a 95 silverado.

I never really thought it was the truck, sorry if I pointed in that direction.  Yes, the switches operate the windows as normal.  I haven't had a problem there.  Its when the module tries to control the windows.

My output is 2 (-) auxiliary wires (one for up and one for down) from my remote starter, they work just fine when testing them with a meter. 

I have changed the output back and forth from .3 sec to 5 sec.  The module needs a single pulse and the windows will try to go down (1 by 1) but stop at about 3 inches.  The right window , once in a while, will go down about 6 inches and every time it does I think: "its gonna work, its gonna go all the way down!!"  but no, it stops. [:(]  This all when the truck is off.  If its running the left window will go all the way down and the module won't even try to put the right window down.

Back to the pulse output.  When I had it at 5, the left window will go down, stop, put the right one down, stop, then (since the ouput pulse is still negative) the left window will go down another 3 inches, stop, and put the right window down 3 inches.  Its like the module thinks something is impeding the motion of the windows so I pushed down on the windows and the same result.

Do you know how these modules operate?  How does it know when to stop?  from the current draw or from the drop in voltage from the battery line?  Also does this unit automatically put down the windows a few inches when in extreme temp?  If so will it roll them back up?  And can you stop it from venting at all?

I have had the wires cut and they pass through the module like the install paper showed.  The plug going into the truck switch has only 6 wires:  +12, (-), L window up, L window down, R window up, R window down.  When these wires get +12 and the oppisite operation wire is grounded, the window will go in the +12 direction.

I appreciate the replies already, I hope this might clear somethings up.  I'm thinking the module could be fried to some degree.

Thanks again

Save a Tree
Kill a Beaver
danida 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm trying to install a car alarm/starter. I've never done it. I have a big problem understanding all the wires from the ignition and the start motor. There is any place that I can go and find the electrical diagram for dodge caravan 98. My car doesn't have powero door/locks. One more thing...what means 12 vd with a PLUS sign inside a circle.

Thanks,

David 

Elrockss 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
David,
Look here under wiring diagrams here for your vehicle, you should find what you need. TAKE YOUR TIME!! SOLDER AND HEAT SHRINK ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS. Since you are interfacing all your vehicles primary circuits, disconnect the battery before beginning your install. Don't attempt this if you don't have the proper tools. There are a huge number of resources on this site that can help you get prepared to do it, USE THEM ALL. This can be a great experience, or a horrible regret on your part, it's all about your approach. If you don't have a digital multimeter, get one and read/learn how to use it to verify voltage on your vehicle's circuits, rather than a traditional or powered test probe. Your vehicle has certain aspects of its electrical system that are not forgiving when interrogated by a grounded or powered probe, your SRS/ airbag circuits for example. Get the wiring diagram and verify all the related wiring matches and their location so that you can interface the alarm/ starter module. Lastly, IF you feel queezy about biting in to doing this yourself, or you can't gain the proper info on the electrical, FEEL NO SHAME OR DEFEAT in taking it to a pro shop and having them install it. The down side to an improper install of this kind is very dangerous, costly,and can leave you literally stranded due to a dead battery, burned starter/ignition system. Having the guts is cool,but Wisdom is key.
I hope this helps getting you going in the right direction, and answers some of your questions.window rollup module not working -- posted image.
Good Luck,
elrock-SS
Elrockss 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
The "12vd +" means 12 Volts DC or Direct Current, which is the control voltage and supply that the device, as well as your vehicle's electrical system operates on. The "+" is for Positive Voltage and is represented by the red jacketed posts on your vehicle's power sources, the battery and alternator.
elrock-SS
Elrockss 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Coolcat,
Does the module click or buzz after the windows perform their movement? With what you lat mentioned I am thinking you might indeed have a bad/smoked unit. Has it blown the supply fuse at anytime during your attempts/ since you installed it?
elrock-SS
coolcat14 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, when the windows stop you can hear the module clicking (probably just the relays inside it), signaling that the module is no longer trying to put the windows down.  No, the fuse has not been blown yet.

Do you know how the module works?  In that I mean how the module knows to stop putting the windows down?

Thanks for your replies so far!  It has been a help.  I'm considering just buying a new one from them to replace it, if you say yours works just fine.

Save a Tree
Kill a Beaver
coolcat14 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, when the windows stop you can hear the module clicking (probably just the relays inside it), signaling that the module is no longer trying to put the windows down.  No, the fuse has not been blown before.

Do you know how the module works?  In that I mean how the module knows to stop putting the windows down?

Thanks for your replies so far!  It has been a help.  I'm considering just buying a new one from them to replace it, if you say yours works just fine.

Save a Tree
Kill a Beaver
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic