icon

Viper remote start wont work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rhettd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have got a 1999 Chevy Suburban and I just put in a Viper 751 Remote Start/alarm. The system is completely installed and everything works except for the remote start. We have all the wires attached and have gone over every connection and instuctions at least 10 times. When you press the remote start button the system will work fine, the starter will go and it will atempt to start but will die instantantainiously. I know what you are thinking, you have to bypass the passlock II. Done that. We got the GM 555L bypass module and installed it. But nothing has changed from before we put it in. The system will give three atempts at starting the truck and will stop. And also, shouldnt the passlock lock the ignition after 3 failed attemts to start the vehicle without a key, just wondering because it hasnt locked up after numerous attempts. We even disconected the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to reset the system. Every connection is perfect and everything should work, BUT IT DOESNT! Any suggestions or similar occurances with anybody else? Also we cannot seem to get the system to learn the tach speed. We hooked it up to the wire that reads 4.83 volts when running that is located behind the instrament panel. Started the vehicle and held the valet button down within 5 seconds, I must have held that stupid valet button for 5 minutes and never got the led to light up signaling it learned the tach. The books only advise to this is check to make sure the led and valet wires are pluged in to the correct slots. What should I do to find the tack wire and could this be a cause of the remote start system not working.
Thanks a lot, and I would appreciate any reponse.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
-youre prolly on teh right track.
|       TACHOMETER|white *5            |   |ECM *4                      |
*4 ECM is located on drivers side inner fender. Tach wire found in a black plug marked 'white'. *5 Diesel wait to start wire is dk. blue (-) located at the instrument cluster.
-then learn the the tach by starting up ur car and may have to wait until it reaches its idle speed and learn it.
-whenever youre doing a remote start, dont jump to the bypass already, you can wire the system like there arent any passlock/antitheft in the car and stick a key in the cylinder to test. if successful, then jump to the bypass. this will save you some confusions.
-i believe the viper keep on trying for 3 consecutive times and stop.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
dieggo98 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

I dont know much about the viper system but what I've learned since hooking up my commando 5005 a while back is that a lot of these alarm systems are hooked up pretty much the same and require identical inputs/outputs. I had that exact same problem with my system and I'm not saying my fix will work for the viper but here goes anyway.

The commando came with a 6-pin starter harness and a 20-pin main harness. Pin 5 on the starter harness says "Ignition output. Connect to the main ignition wire that provides a +12V when the ignition is on and while cranking the starter". Pin 5 on the main harness says "+12V ignition input. The yellow wire must connect to a main ignition wire at the ignition harness. The wire must show +12V when the ignition is on and while cranking the starter. The voltage must not drop when the car is starting". Two different wire, two different harness, one input, one output, basically asking to be connected to the same ignition wire. So after three frustrating days of cussing and pulling my hair out and trying almost every other hookup configuration, I fused both wires and hooked them to the main harness, hit the remote start button and the cussed thing worked and I havent had a single problem since. Like I said earlier, I dont know anything about the viper but if you notice any similarity in your hookup instructions you might wanna give it a try. I find that my remote start works with the +12V input connected. If that is how it is with you, you might also wanna use a relay to isolate that input wire.

Good luck!!

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
if the LED doesnt light you've got the wrong tach source.   did you use the white at the cluster?
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Rhettd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for everybodys help it ended up being a simple little tach wire. Found the right wire and it started right up!Viper remote start wont work -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic