icon

Rockford amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Guys and gals I was wondering how you feel about the quality of Rockford Fosgate amps? I have been looking on ebay and I see alot of refurbished units from a company named high desert audio. I dont think I want to buy a refurb unit but I was looking at a new Punch 401S.   Im just a little leary wondering why so many need repair.

Im sure some of you have shops selling them and many of you own them.  So are they good reliable amps?  It will be pushing an 8 inch kicker solo baric.   Thanks for your opinions. Boomer

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
When a compnay builds something to hit a price point, they have to use cheaper components that are much more prone to failure. I dropped the Rockford line when the failure rate became excessive, much like the new Kicker line. If you get a good Rockford amp and use it properly, you may never have a problem but with the number of returns I had as a retailer, it told me to find a higher build quality line with a lower failure rate.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
The RF line that will be appearing in retail all around the world here pretty soon are nice. I can't wait to re-do my car in all RF. But almost ALL products will fail due to poor installation. So you really can't blame RF for that.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
never had a problem with my rockford amp had for about 3 years now, I have let friends borrow it and have had no trouble....
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
i have bought 2 amps and 2 subs refurbished from high desert audio on ebay. it is actually rockford fosgate who does those auctions - i don't know why they use that ebay account name. anything you buy from them will come with a warranty for 90 days. the prices are unbeatable. i have turned some friends on to their auctions, and they are happy (and were skeptical like you at first). look at their feedback - very few negative.
erinh 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
by the way if you do end up deciding to get an amp from them - look through their auction history and see what that amp has been going for and be patient trying to win it. their buy it now prices are way higher than what you can usually win the auctions for, and they repost all of those auctions every week.
Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

How do you know that RF is the ones selling the stuff?

Ive seen the name before....Rockford amps? -- posted image....cant remember though if they were selling RF products or not...

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
that line of RF does not have any fuses on the amp itself. Alot of times I see these amps come in because of power handling issues. The amps are rated to run at 2 ohms, but in reality I've seen them fry because of that. without the protection on the amp itsef there have been cases where the amp is wired at 2 ohms and it fries.
erinh 
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
Clean Install: I say that because when I've paid them through paypal it was listed as "Rockford Corp" and also that is what was listed on the shipping return labels. I think "highdesertaudio" just has to do with them being located in Arizona.
mobile1: would it be worth putting the same rated fuse, as the one near the battery, a few inches from the amp?
Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the info erinh...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic