icon

Plastic Sheet in door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at applying some damping material to my doors,floors, etc... and was wondering, when i take off the door panels, there is a plastic sheet on the metal of the inside of the door. (2000 4runner) Has anyone else run into this problem and do i just cut it out and apply the damping mat or what?thanks
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Elrockss 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, carefully remove it INTACT. It is your moisture barrier!! If it's not in place, moisture from rain, the car wash, garden hose can fall on the inside damaging the door panel,electrical connections/switches, etc. and causing your SUV to smell like old wet socks over time.
This also serves as a mediocure wind/draft stop as well. If it comes apart on the removal, replace it with 3mil clear painter's drop plastic sheeting, sold in rolls at your nearest home improvement center or even Wal-Mart.
Either silicone it back in place over your new dampening job, or use a contractor grade duct tape and secure it around the paremeter of the inner door skin, as it was originally located.
Hope this helps.Plastic Sheet in door -- posted image.
elrock-SS
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Are you covering the whole door with dynamat?  If so you can just toss that moisture barrier.  Since the dynamat will be replacing it.   The below pic is of my door.  The dynamat completely covers all openings, and is probably even more of a water barrier then that plastic sheet.

http://users.nac.net/crudeau/images/2003_Mustang_GT/Stereo_Install/DCP_0608%20(Small).JPG

Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldnt swap the dynamat for the moisture barrier, what does the dynamat have to hold onto in those voids? nothing, and with it moving around(it will) moisture and dirt will end up working its way under the dynamat that is bonded to the metal,causing it to fall off eventually. just put the dynamat on the metal areas, then reuse or make  a new moisture barrier and apply it over the dynamat.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Sobe that helps a lot.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
crudeau wrote:

Are you covering the whole door with dynamat?  If so you can just toss that moisture barrier.  Since the dynamat will be replacing it.   The below pic is of my door.  The dynamat completely covers all openings, and is probably even more of a water barrier then that plastic sheet.

http://users.nac.net/crudeau/images/2003_Mustang_GT/Stereo_Install/DCP_0608%20(Small).JPG

that looks like a good job of dynamatin',  that will not work????

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

Sobe_Death wrote:
i wouldnt swap the dynamat for the moisture barrier, what does the dynamat have to hold onto in those voids? nothing, and with it moving around(it will) moisture and dirt will end up working its way under the dynamat that is bonded to the metal,causing it to fall off eventually. just put the dynamat on the metal areas, then reuse or make  a new moisture barrier and apply it over the dynamat.

What does the moisture have to hold onto in those voids?  The dynomat is a 100% moisture barrier then the stock on.  Have you ever seen PeelNSeal?  Almost the same thing.  The dynomat will stick to so much of the door panel that the voids to do not affect it.  And dynomat is so sticky, that it doesn't move.  I had my 2000 mustang done with dynomat origianl (no aluminum backing) and after 3 years, there was no sagging from the voids, and no moisture damage.  Not even any signs of water.  Don't forget 9 out 10 times that filmsy stock moisture barrier is just taped on, some times they even use that tar like stuff, that you guess it, resembles dynomat extreme. 

DO NOT put the dynomat on top of the moisture barrier,  It weighs too much and will stretch the plastic, and it will cause a rattle/tap.  It makes the barrier weight so much that it will tap on the sheet metal of the door, when you shut it and when bass hits.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic