icon

MDF Splitting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

I'm having a little problem making my box with 3/4 MDF. It seems whenever i'm screwing into the side of a piece of MDF, or near an edge, no matter how big or small the screw, it is splitting. Even if I drill a pilot hole before hand, it STILL splits!. Any suggestions??.

Thanks!

93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I've had that problem, you have to just make sure you stay away from the edge, make sure you have alot of screws throughout the space but stay away from the edge. Make sure you caulk the inner part of the box and you will be fine. I've tried to take apart a box I made and it was soo hard to pry off the peice of MDF. I am now turning that box into a FG box. Good luck.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
how big of a pilot hole are you making?  When I'm pre-drilling holes I use a drill-bit that's a little smaller than the thread of the screw but a little larger than the shaft.  This will minimize expansion in the hole while giving you maximum bite when the screw goes in.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

I agree, but in some cases you need to screw into the sides, ya know?

Basically.. after it split, I put wood glue into the split, and I also lined every cut inside and outside the box with wood glue as well. It is stong as hell, and it doesnt flex filling in the splits with glue. Every seam outside of the box will be covered with 7 or so layers of glass anyway.. and I figured i'd line the inside with a layer or 2 as well. Guess after that's all done, the splitting will be something I wont have to worry about anyways.

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
i always use a drill-bit to pre drill that is the same size as the shaft, and never had any splitting
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
i've been using 1-1/4 screws. I'm worried when I screw my subs into the speaker rings, being that's near an edge. Would size drill bit would you say I should use to pre-drill for a 1-1/4 screw?
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
If you do it right, you could sink a screw 1/16" from the edge with no problems.  As to what size of a bit to use, I can't say... You've given the length, not the width.  Are they #8's? #10's?  If you give me the width I could tell you.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the reply.. looking at the box.. it says "+10".. so i'm assuming they are #10's.
fintheman 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thats kind of wierd, I used alot of screws in different areas of my box that I just made and the MDF held up very well even when I was making it TIGHT.

I guess its all about the quality of MDF that you use.

-fin 

Serving the country, one coffee at a time.
USAF!
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
I dunno. I bought the sheet of MDF at Home Depot. Was $17 for a sheet.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic