icon

Power inverter hard wire problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cantgetright 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I've taken a regular inverter and tried to hard wire, but I keep blowing fuses. Originally the inverter came with a cig light connecter as well as alligator clip connectors. What I did was clip the alligator clips off and basically trying to hard wire direct to the battery. Every time I do it I blow a fuse. I damn near burned my car up when I tried to avoid fuses altogether by going direct from the battery. Luckily I had the inverter on the ground and the wire wasn't touching much of the car, but the entire covering around the wire burned up. Why is this happening and what can I do to stop it? I have no problems when using the cig lighter connection and had none when the alligator clips were still on. I've discected the cables that I cut and I see nothing that's on them that I should have added so it must be something about the alligator clips that allows for the inverter to draw power safely. Also one last bit of info...the fuses on the inverter are not blowing it's just the fuses within my car. I'm also not using any relays or switches and have not worked with them before. From what I've read a relay may he.p me, but I want to understand how it will help me. Please somone help.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
maybe u should put an inline fuse holder for the inverter so it doesnt draw 2 much or to help protect the others
cantgetright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

I have no problem doing that, but I'm thinking just adding another fuse would only cause 'that' fuse to blow.  I'm not sure though, maybe I don't really understand fuses.  It blew my 30a ignigtion fusible link.  This was all just in the testing phase just to see if it worked properly which it obviously doesn't.

cantgetright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Let me add that I tried two seperate sources and it blew the same fusible link...first I tried the power line going to my head unit, then I tried the power line that goes to my cig lighter.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your inverter is shorting out.
cantgetright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
What can I do to stop it from shorting out?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
If it's shorting out, it's defective and needs repair or replaced, sorry.
cantgetright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

Well I'm prone to agree that's it defective, but like I said it was working properly when I used the cig lighter and when I used the alligator clips before I cut them off.  Is there a way the inverter could be sending power back through the power wire?  This was my original thought and I thought maybe a relay would help this, but I don't really understand what relays do so I can't say specifically that it will work. 

DYohn 
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

OK, first off, is there anything plugged into it or is it blowing fuses under no load?  If there is no load on it, then throw it away and get a new one as the DC side is fried.  It'd be more expensive to fix it than to replace it.  If there is something plugged into it, unplug it.  If it powers up under no load, then the AC side has a problem and it might be worth getting it looked at for repair.  In either case, something went wrong and it is broken if you are simply hooking up the power.  No, a relay will not help you.  Nor will anything else, unfortunately.

cantgetright 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help DYohn. It not a big deal about replacing it as it is brand new so I can just exchange.  I did want to make sure that it was a problem with the inverter and not how I was wiring so I wouldn't just be going through the same scenario again.  To answer  your question though, there is nothing plugged in.  I'm just putting power to it and it immediately blows whatever fuse is in it's way. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic