Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
BangBang wrote:

Ketel22 wrote:
well ive blown a brand new w3v2 just because i inverted the sub and was new to car audio and didnt know that you are supposed to wire the sub out of phase.
you've blown a sub wow.!

also out of phase. it sounds weak y would u want them to sound weak?!

BangBang wrote:

just because you switch the sub woofer un side down or inside out. you have to change the wiring? thats weird and stupid if you ask me.. I dont know the result of that.. but could you give me an example?

?

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
okay i think i under stand is this what your saying.
i will tak the - and + from the amp and hook it up - to + and + to - on the first sub them run wire from that sub to the others going +to+ -to- correct. also what the the ohm load be if i do it this way? thak alot guys
Ernie
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

There is no difference sonically between having the magnet assembly inside the enclosure and having it outside.  The decision to mount a speaker like that is purely cosmetic.  The key to proper operation has been posted in this thread and elsewhere, but here's my summary:

1.  The size of the enclosure must be reduced to compensate for inverting the driver.  You must reduce the gross size by TWICE the displacement of the cone since you have not only removed the magnet assembly from inside the enclosure, you have also ADDED the volume inside the cone to the enclosure internal volume.

2.  Reversing speaker polarity is necessary if you want to maintain its electrical polarity in relation to the rest of the system.  If your amplifier or crossover has polarity control, you don't need to worry about this.

3.  The speaker is MUCH more subject to external physical damage when it is sticking out into the air than when it is hidden inside the enclosure.  Be aware of this when choosing your mounting location.  Also, you may need to weigh doen or bolt down the enclosure depending on how heavy the magnet assembly is.

4.  Since the cone (the speaker radiator) is now outside the enclosure, it effectively moves forward in relation to the enclosure baffle.  This can have an effect on time alignment and on acoustical cancellation effects, although in sub-bass frequencies below 100 Hz it may or may not be noticeable.

5.  If you are thinking about mounting your woofer sticking straight UP, then you must choose a woofer designed for down-firing applications.  Otherwise you can easily exceed the excursion capability of the speaker assembly and fry your voice coil.

eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
okay im going to do a wedge style box, and can i still do this wiring setup if there mounted outside?
sub facing  up or down - Page 3 -- posted image.
thanks for the help.
Ernie
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Sure.
eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
also whats the Best what to hide the wires, i have a 250ft roll of Streetwires 12gauge ultra cable so its not that ugly but is there any other ways? thanks
Ernie
eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
one more question, when i mount it upside down what do i do with the carboard gasket around the subs top. thanks agian.
Ernie
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
still use it... keeps air from escaping...
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
well unless that gasket is on the underside of the lip
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
DYohn 
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

eeh1025 wrote:
also whats the Best what to hide the wires, i have a 250ft roll of Streetwires 12gauge ultra cable so its not that ugly but is there any other ways? thanks
Ernie

If your speakers are mounted with the voice coils hanging out in the air, you CAN'T hide the wires.  This is another drawback, I suppose.  The only thing you could do is try and make them look nice.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic