the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring and subsonic filter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
As a suggestion, buy another identical 5 channel amp, bridge the bridge them each to 3 channel mode, and then you will have 4 very high power channels, and two remaining mono channels for running a pair of 4 ohm dual voice coil subs. If you are going to do this configuration, though, use one for one SIDE of the car and the other for the other SIDE of the car. This will keep your separation and imaging as high as the deck can put out. Also, with the four channels bridged to two channels, they will be seeing two ohms per channel.
Forget all that drivel... I have to agree with DYohn on this one... Bridging quadruples the distortion rating, and quarters the damping factor, both bad things, indeed. Get more power than you absolutely need to start with, and have somebody THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING install it... and Eclipse does indeed make a wonderful 5 channel amp... the PA5532 is an amazing piece of gear, and not heinously expensive... Your Kappas would SING, then add a good quality sub, and you are done. Also this amp makes more power into the 4 ohm load of the Kappas than the MTX - 70 watts at 4 ohms, versus the 70 watts at 2 ohms of the MTX. <Probably around 40 watts or so at 4 ohms> Forbidden is also correct, a 5 channel amp can be a dream to work with... easy installation, and usually with all of the bells and whistles built right in...
charlie101_1999 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
I really appreciate the help guys. I have the MTX already and access to the JLW3v2(free). I haven't bought the 5X7's yet but the Kappa's are what I wanted. I'm trying to build a decent system with what I have already. If a 5 channel could be a good thing, then whats the best way to set this system up. I wanted to have this MTX run everything for now. Could I just run the 5X7's @ 4ohm and the sub @ 2ohms? I this possible? And if it is, is the worst case scenario just running a sub at 320 and 5X7's at 40?
Really, thanks for the patience guys
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, you can run the speakers at 4 ohm and the sub at 2.  They don't have to be the same.

Good luck with your install!

charlie101_1999 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I hope so also.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic