icon

ABS plastic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaffeene 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey I am going to get some ABS sheets  24" x 12"  for making a custom switch panel. I haven't decided on the thickness 1/16, 3/32 or 1/8 if anyone has any input on that. Could ABS be molded by being heated? What is a good way to cut and trim these sheets? How could I make a square hole for say a rocker switch?  Input please, thanks

robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, ABS can be molded with heat. The best way is to use a heat gun, but don't get it too hot, you can melt it. One of the best ways I have found to cut ABS (short of a saw and sandpaper to clean up the cut) is to heat up a utility knife over a flame and cut into the plastic like a hot knife through butter. Same goes for making a rough hole for switches.
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
ABS plastic -- posted image.
unreal3z 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Yea heat gun does work the best, and to make the square hole just drill a regular hole then use a nibbler tool to square it off.
kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
If I dont have a heat gun is there any other  way to heat it and mold it?    And cut it too? 
kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

If I dont have a heat gun is there any other way to heat it and mold it?   And cut it too?    Would a small torch held a short distance from the material work?

unreal3z 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

the heat gun is the easiest and safest way to do it, you should be able to get one for $20 or less at a hardware store. You could use a torch but you risk melting right through it.  There are a few ways to cut it to the form you need, 1. take a razor knife and cut into it 3 or 4 times then break it w/ your hands. 2. dremel 3. air saw. Let me know if this helps any.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
another way is to use a a jig saw or table saw to get it close then using a jig, router it out. a heat gun is one of the best ways to do basic molding of ABS.
what kind of shape are you trying to make with it? or how are you trying to mold it?
kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
Switch panel.  It's going to be a switch panel for 3 switches and some indicator l.e.d.'s.    Not exactly sure of the shape yet but I think I want to mount it under the air vents in the center.   (In front of the stick shift under the dash A/C vents.)   The abs is 1/16 thick and I want to basically mold it so I have a flap to mount it to the A/C vents underneath and then a small flap on the side to conceal the wires.   Something like that.   If anyone has any good ideas on mounting it in this location, say so.     I was just thinking of 2 screws and and nuts or some 5lb 3M foam tape.    thanks  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic