icon

Cost of custom molding LCD into dash?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
lol, there was cutting to the mazda piece, the product I use was from Dominion Sure Seal called Rigid Plastic repair, it's a 2 part plastic epoxy. Then there was sanding.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
SiDogg 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
well, not that much cutting, from what it looks like..
My double-din (if you can call it that) is way too small, and the LCD is too tall (it's just fine width-wise though)..
I just though up a good idea though.. I might use some fiberglass cloth I have lying around.
If memory serves me, I believe it is a teensy bit stretchy which will help get the right shape by stretching it over the whole piece. It gets pretty hard with just one layer if I remember correctly.. Then I could cut out the inside areas and then edges will be rigid enough to Duramix the LCD inside the permiter and get the shape I want
Or maybe I'm just smoking crack and it's a lot harder than it seems... I guess I'll find out soon enough.. :D
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
is the screen(the actual part you watch) to big to fit the opening or is the casing that the screen sets inside to big?  plus, are you wanting to mold it in like extreme1 so you can see the casing and all or do you want it like the pic you have in your original question where all you can see is the screen and buttons?  not saying that extreme1's looks bad, its clean, but to me it looks a little too simple, molding it in so that all you see is the screen makes it look more custom and it seems to me that is what you are looking for. but hey, its up to you man.  to me it doesn't look like the screen is to big to fit between the double DIN, it actually almost looks perfect, but its just pictures and i can't really tell.  if you end up cutting into the vent area and removing them you'll have to use something like ABS to cover the big square vent holes and mold that in as well. when i get some time i'm putting a 7" widescreen in the dash of my 97 mustang, i'll put up a pic so you can see the difference between my way and extreme1's way.  it might be a while though because i work 7 12's so i don't have to much extra time. let me know if you need any more help
what!?!?! you want some??
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
I'm going kind of in between I guess..
The way extreme1 did it, is he molded in the headrest shroud and then snapped in the LCD.
I was planning to mold the LCD in entirely, so it isn't removable, but still show the outer contours like extreme1 did, because I feel it looks more oem-like.
Although after seeing extreme1's, I'm thinking now I might do the same and mold the headrest shroud in and then snap the LCD into that. That will let me a) remove the screen when I have to park in an unsafe area or overnight, b) will be easier to do because I don't have to disassemble the LCD and void the warranty.
I don't really care for just putting the display behind a flat square cutout, it looks boring, but perhaps that is just because I've seen some poor jobs..
Xclusive187 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
I just got this done in my civic. We took out the 2 vents, stereo, and the little storage space, and molded a 7 inch tv. The guy charged me $200. and it looks awesome. I dont have any pics of it yet though.
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Xclusive187 wrote:
I just got this done in my civic. We took out the 2 vents, stereo, and the little storage space, and molded a 7 inch tv. The guy charged me $200. and it looks awesome. I dont have any pics of it yet though.
Wow, that's cheap. Where did you go??
Did he sand it and paint it, too??
Xclusive187 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

SiDogg wrote:
Wow, that's cheap. Where did you go??
Did he sand it and paint it, too??

I went to 'The Next Level Customs' in Tipp City, OH. He primered, and sanded it. All my paint guy has to do it scuff it and paint.

SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
It's hard to find a place around here that will do this work.. And all of them want me to come in for an estimate, which won't work, cuz I don't have the LCD yet, that is why I'm trying to get just a rough estimate...
Anyone here live in NorCal? :)
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

listen man, whenever you get the tv you can send me the tv shroud and the dash bezel and i'll mold it in for you for like $150, we can write up a contract or something so no one gets ripped off 

let me know what you think

what!?!?! you want some??
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
OMFG, I just got back from this shop.. the guy says he guesses this project would run about 15-20 hours, at a rate of $75/hour..
He said it will probably be over $1000... SHEEESH!! COME ON!
He obviously failed to realize the simplicity of this project, probably because he was busy, but whatever..
I'm not taking this stuff for granted, I mean it is difficult, but I cannot see a skilled fabricator spending more than 6 hours on this (excluding curing time)..
The tricky part is the 1st part, which I'm struggling with as you may have noticed..
After you get the right shape, it's pretty simple to fit the piece in, sand it, and prep it for paint..
I might have to use expanding foam or short-strand marglass/everglass to make my mold/tub and then glass inside that.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic