icon

Car Battery Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

well in a civic ex had that happen once my girlfriends brother tried to put a new battery in our car and placed it in there backwards....

well given it was dark out and the flash light was sh*t, he checked the fuses an they looked good, when I got home from work went out there and checked the fuses and when I started to take them out I found one that was blown, a little square plastic cube like fuse which you place in place with a couple of screws....anyhow it ended up being a fuse...Car Battery Problem - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

also as for that circuit tester I would shy away from using it wouldnt want to mess your car up anymore Car Battery Problem - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
bigherm033 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
Was it under the hood?
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
yes just I followed the battery cable, an it lead to the box
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

It's possible that you might have blown other circuit protection.. something like a fuse link. If it appears you're not getting power to the fuse box at all, I'd see if I could find a wiring diagram of the car and look for other fused protection.

regards,

Jim

bigherm033 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

If a fuse-link is messed up would it prevent my from testing my fuses?

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
bigherm033 wrote:

If a fuse-link is messed up would it prevent my from testing my fuses?

The first thing you need to do is measure the voltage on the battery. The OCV *open circuit voltage* for a 100% charged SLI battery will be aprox. 12.8 - 12.90 volts DC.
The next thing you need to do is varify that both cables, power and ground are indeed sound in connection and fitment. Make sure there is not an open in either cable.
Take your DMM and measure the resistance and the continuity of both cables with the battery disconnected from the vehicle. The ground cable should measure less than 2 ohms aprox.
The (+) power cables from the battery, leading to the fused power distribution block should measure the same resistance, you will have to disconnect the other end of the power cable from the fuse block so as it measures the cable resistance and not the misc circuits attached.
If both cables are indeed fine, and the battery measures fine.
The next step is to remove each fuse one at a time and varify each visualy, and with a DMM to ensure they are not open. This includes all the fuses in the cabin.
The next thing from there is to obtain either a Helms, Mitchel, or Auto Tek information for your model year vehicle and check each circuit affected.
If you are not up to the task then you are going to have to bow out and bring it a a technician you trust, to trouble shoot the problems.
Good luck
EVIL Teken . . .
bigherm033 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
What does DMM stand for?
aaronluvsbazz 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

Digital multimeter.

You can also try using a voltmeter to see if ur getting voltage at your fusebox. Ground one of the leads, pull out a fuse, and stick the other lead into where each of the fuse blades go. One shoud be zero, the other shoukd be ~12.6V

Godd luck, and hope this helps

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic