icon

Will this amp blow these subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bhays 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

I am getting ready to install this system and want to make sure I'm not gonna blow my subs.

The amp is a Hifonics BX1500D

450W x 1 @ 4ohms

900W x 1 @ 2ohms
1500W x 1 @ 1ohms
Subs are Infinity Perfect 10.1 (svc)
350W RMS
1400W Peak
I had planned to wire them parallel, so 450W per sub. Can the Perfects handle that, or should I wire in series? I hate to do that 225 per sub seems a little low.
Anyone got experience with this combination, or any advice?

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Are they 4 ohm svc or 2 ohm svc? Either way, i dont think 100 extra watts will hurt anything. If they are anything like my old Type R's, they like more power than rms.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
bhays 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
They're 4 ohm svc. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Kappa Perfect 10.1 is a very nice sub.  Two of them paralleled to your Brutus amp should be fine.  You will be at the "hairy edge" of RMS power matchup, so make sure your amp is set up for no clipping and turn on the subsonic filter.  The Perfects should handle it.  I'm throwing 500 watts at a single Perfect 12 now and it sounds great.
Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Amps don't blow subs, , the user's blow them by turning the volume up to high.  If you hear a humming, then turn it down.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you clip the input signal before the amp or the signal at the amp, then you will blow a sub. Set the gains properly and you should be fine. Practice safe sound.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with them all....signal not power Will this amp blow these subs? -- posted image.
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
bhays 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
If you clip the input signal before the amp or the signal at the amp, then you will blow a sub. Set the gains properly and you should be fine. Practice safe sound.

Thanks for all the great info.  I am wet behind the ears at this stuff.  Can anyone tell me in an easy to comprehend manner, how they set gains.  I read a little bit on it, but there was some pretty complex math involved.

I have a multimeter and a strong desire to learn to do this right....can anyone help?

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

This is a great site for information, I think that you will really like this site if you want to learn there is alot of info here, there is a section on gain control section #63 Will this amp blow these subs? -- posted image., also there is a section on too little power section #29

Hope you like the site...its great

some of us are still new too....

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
bhays 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
CLEAN INSTALL wrote:

This is a great site for information, I think that you will really like this site if you want to learn there is alot of info here, there is a section on gain control section #63 Will this amp blow these subs? -- posted image., also there is a section on too little power section #29

Hope you like the site...its great

some of us are still new too....

Where do I find sections by number?  I have clicked all through the links on the left of the page and couldn't find anything about setting gain.  What am I missing?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic