icon

Current from a Boch relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaffeene 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Typically how much current is drawn from a Bocsh relay coil?  Is it safe to use on a remote output of a headunit or should I look for a relay that draws less current?

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Just measure it with your meter..

What are the specs on the head unit?

Regards,

Jim

kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
I want to know how much amperage the coil is going to use?   12V    and I dont know what the coil resistance is.       I have nothing hooked up, just wanted to know what they typically use as far as current .
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
The current draw by the coil of a bosch relay is ~0.160 amps. Most amplifiers draw at the most 1/3 of this just to turn them on. Also, they Bosch relay has low resistance. (Usually ~75ohms) So... a different relay will probably be your best bet just so you don't accidentally damage the headunit's transistor for the remote out.
Look for a relay from Radio Shack. Its stock number is 275-248. It has a coil resistance of ~400 ohms which means that it will draw ~1/5 the amount of current of the Bosch relay.
Also, look at protecting your head unit with a diode soldered on the relay. You can use Radio Shack part #s 276-1101, 276-1102, 276-1103, or 276-1104. You need to put this inline with the coil or the power terminals. Just make sure the positive terminal and the striped end of the diode are together before you solder. Do not connect the positive terminal and anode together.
Hope this helps!
Eric Lucas
kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
I looked at that part number on the Radio Shack site.    How can you tell how many Ohms it has?   It doesn't say.      Its ok to use it in an automotive application?
JasonL 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
The coil impedance should be listed on a product datasheet, though I don't see one for the Rat Shack relay. Or simply measure with a multimeter.
Look at your headunit manual and see if there is a max current for the remote turn-on. I'd be surprised if it can't supply the ~160mA to activate a Bosch relay.
JasonL 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes the coil impedance will be listed on the packaging as well.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic