the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

'99 sonoma extended cab

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
I hate side-terminal batteries!  Actually that one doesn't look too bad.  Get some baking soda and dissolve a couple tablespoons in water, and scrub that terminal and connector with a toothbrush to remove the acid corrosion.  Then scrub the battery connection face with a brass wire brush to remove oxidation.  Does your new post use the existing connector (the red part) or are you supposed to replace that?  If it is intended to be replacd, the wire will have to be cut back and stripped to install into the new terminal, or replaced.  Does the new terminal have a bolt-down clamp for the power cable?  If you decide to replace the wire, you might consider installing a larger gage cable back to the alternator...
Support the12volt.com
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
pour some coca-cola all over the terminal and watch it fizz....it may take a couple trys and some minor scrubbing with a brillo pad or wire brush, but that terminal will look brand new and shiny when you're done.
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
'99 sonoma extended cab - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
that post looks clean compared to when i pulled mine off. If you are going to replace the terminal for shure, you need to cut it. i did this to my s10. the smaller ring of plastic hold the terminal in, and it also prevent the new terminal from properly seat, so the smaller plastic ring needs to be cut off all you need to do is use dykes or something its fairly simple.
Quad L Handyman services
dyno 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I ended up having to replace my battery today (long story). Anyway, I didn't replace the cable end, just used the spare post. I haven't sealed it up nicely yet as it's now dark outside. I'll have to do that tomorrow after work. I think I've solved all my problems now. Thanks everyone for the help!

-dyno

HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
I had that same problem with my chevy silverado 1500... it got to the point that the corrosion was so bad that you would drive and the car would just shut off.. scary sh*t if your making turns with trucks around on a highway or something... I replaced my battery too, and the cables ... but before that.. a temporary fix was grinding the terminals down and then rubbing vasoline or engine oil all over it... but the baking soda thing works the best that the other guy suggested...
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic