the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ohms an amp sees when bridged

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

New to audio.  I'm looking at buying two smaller bridgeable amps instead of one large one to drive some mb quart components. 

A 2 channel amp, bridged, still sees only a 4-ohm load even though the power is increased, right?

Are there any disadvantages to doing this? 

Thinking of running an Xtant A2002 to each side of the PCE 6.5" mb's.

thanks!

irhino2 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Well, that depends on if you are running svc or dvc, and whether they are wired in series or in parrallel.  There are a few factors involved.
Rhino - Bringing you only the best in car audio!!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
This tutorial should help you out http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm  but if you bridge (2) 4 ohm speakers to one channel that channel will see a 2 ohm load.
irhino2 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

My mistake!!!!!!!!!   I missed the part about components..

It there a reason you are wanting to run seperate amps????  You can get just good of quality, and just as much power from a single amp if you know what you are doing.

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well.  I'm considering a few 2 channel amps, but I'm mainly just concerned about price.  It seems that I might be able to run those 2 Xtant a2002 amps w/ 200 watts to each side of the components for much less than I can buy a clean 200x2 amp.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

irhino2 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Why not consider a clean 4 channel amp?  By the time you by a few inexpensive 2 channel amps, you could have gotten a high quality 4 channel.

kfr01 
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  I read that site.  Just to clarify - each side of a component set (effectively one speaker) will still be seen as a 4-ohm load when bridged, right?

THanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Right.   Each amplifier channel will in effect "see" 2-ohms.  The bridged mono amp created when you connect it that way "sees" a total 4-ohm load.  So it should be safe.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
However, if you are as serious about sound as you might indicate by buying Quart components, you would be better off buying a stereo amplifier with the target wattage AT 4 ohms... When you bridge an amp, you quadruple the distortion, halve the damping factor, and halve the slew rate... all bad things. More distortion, less control, and slower transient response? Not good... buy a more powerful 2 channel amp, and do it right.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  

...Because everybody wants to get the most voltage, not the best specs.  That is evidenced on almost every post.  So people start to believe that wiring to reach full potential from the amp is a necessity, and that if you don't, then it means you just don't know how to do it right.  Components are best wired in stereo, and bridging should not be a consideration.

Subs, on the other hand, are often bridged so that the two stereo signals are mixed as one mono signal.  This is used when only one sub is being driven, and very often used also when a stereo configuration could have been utilized. 

I would always think to wire in stereo first for subs; bridge only if it works out better.   And for components or any other drivers, wire only in stereo, one speaker per channel.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic