icon

Name Brand Recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevinbo5 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
This is a bit of a continuation from the end of a previous post.
Along the lines of Sound Quality, which is what I'm after, what Brand would you recommend that is not "over-priced" for the quality of the amp and of course - Power.
The name brands my local sound shop carries are Alpha Sonic, Alpine, Memphis Audio, Orion and Planet Audio.
I was going to go to eBay, but helping out a local business and having a place to call or go to any time I have a question is worth the extra price. Not to mention the warranty and free "goodies" every now and then. (power wire, fuses, etc...)
My car is a 98 Chevrolet Prizm. I have a JVC AR-3000 HU, Audiobahn ABC600T (supposedly 140W RMS) components up front and Audiobahn AS62Q (90W RMS) in the back deck.
I bought the speakers before I heard all of the bad news about Audiobahn, but unless they don't work out of the box, I won't complain - considering how much I paid for them.
I'm looking at a 75 to 100W x 4 amp for the interior.For the trunk, I'm looking at a 500W to 600W 2Ohm amp for one 12" DVC sub with 400W to 700W RMS recommendation from the manufacturer.
Now for Price - I'm willing to spend $250 to $300 for each amp. A little more if it came to it.
I know you guys have to answer these questions all of the time, but as you can guess your opinion means a lot to the people who come here. And what else do you have to do anyway? Just Kidding!
Thanks a lot!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
Your local shop's brands look good to me.  Memphis Belle 5-channel would solve your amp problems.
Support the12volt.com
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
DYon is right...the mephis is a good amp. just remember that when you are going for SQ you want to create a front stage sound platform. In other wrds you want to pull your bass up front and the majority of the sound. Use the back speakers for fill. The amp I would suggest personally (if you can find a dealer near you) is the JL audio 500/5. It is a very powerful true power amp and can handle 1.5 - 4 ohms on all channels. It is also one of the cleanest sounding 5 channel amps I've ever heard. I used to have on in a 2000 integra. I had 3 audiobahn 10's in the back , three way components up front and fill speaks in the back and that thing jammed.
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
Name Brand Recommendations - Last Post -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Two good amps for you right there. Consider the Planet Audio amps as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
i've heard about the planet audio....are they really that good?
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
Name Brand Recommendations - Last Post -- posted image.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
I personally really like the orion stuff but I would guess that with the amount of power you need, your gonna spend more than you want. I never really liked the sound of the planet audio amps but that is total personal opinion. I do know that the dealer in town here gets more comming back broken than what Im comfortable with but mabye their install shop is a hack show. I havent been overly impressed with the work I see outta there
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
D148l0 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
I would go with orion.
d148l0
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
If you go with the memphis 5 ch make sure you get the memphis bridging module.  The memphis amp has only one mono input for the sub ch.  The bidging module will combine a stereo signal and make it mono.  I tried a simple Y adapter, but it just didnt sound right.  Then i tried the briding module, it was like night and day.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Vortec4800 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

netboy wrote:
If you go with the memphis 5 ch make sure you get the memphis bridging module.  The memphis amp has only one mono input for the sub ch.  The bidging module will combine a stereo signal and make it mono.  I tried a simple Y adapter, but it just didnt sound right.  Then i tried the briding module, it was like night and day.

Any idea what it does differently than just a Y-cable? Just curious...

2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic