icon

Distortion?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
I think that explanation by Rob is about the best you are gonna find. By the way, is there a device to actually detect clipping besides an RTA meter that can be used to set gains. Im having a bitch of a time in my car because I have my signal going threw deck to preamp to crossover to amp and I am trying to figure out where each device clips and its quite hard since each device has their own level controls. Problem is I dont have and RTA and the only shop in town with one wont let me borrow it because Im competion to them.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
What does RTA stand for and how does it work.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Real Time Analyser - It takes a "snapshot" of your frequencies of music as they are played in the vehicle and allow you to see it on a meter. It allows you a number of opportunities, like seeing that you may have a huge loss of midbass or excessive midrange etc. Another tool that it offers from some units is the capability of measuring SPL of the system and output voltage of preamps.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
Short of using an RTA, is there a way to use a volt meter to match the amp to the HU? I saw on a website that mentioned the process but i can't find the web page again.  is it not also true that running a speaker that is rated at a lower rms than what the amp is putting out will damage the voice coil due to the heat produced, even if the system is not cliping?    
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

An ociliscope will show you when your head unit and amp are clipping.  In fact, that would be the best way to set your gains.

There are two things that destroy speakers; too much power and too much excursion.  The power ratings on speakers is their thermal power handling, and is not always rated accurately.  Many companies fudge their numbers to make their speakers look good.  We rate our drivers per IEC 268-5 which is the home audio standard.  When you clip your amplifier, you are applying a great deal of power.  At full clipping, your amplifier is producing twice the power than Rms.  If the speaker can handle the power at full clipping, then you won't have a problem except for having to listen to the distortion it is producing.  But the same thing applies for clean power.  If you apply too much, it will break the speaker. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
  this is great stuff...thankyou for all your input. I also went to the RF web site and found some good info there as well. I am definatly going to re adjust my settings when I get off work today. one more question with reguards to output voltage from the HU's RCA jacks, is it a constant output or does it vary with the volume? it states that its max output is 4v is that with full volume from the HU?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
In the case of your Alpine it is 4volt max at 0db (full volume and well into clipping) at 1000hz for the most part. Your sub output will still be struggling to put out 1.5 volts. Yes the voltage will vary with volume.
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

I turned down the gain on my amps to around 3/4, sounds a little better(definatly lower volume). will keep you all posted...thanks for everything.

T

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Steven you arent quite right but very close. If your amp is rated for 200 watts and your sub is rated for 400 so you decide to just crank your gains up then your amp could be clipping and if it is its gonna cause a great deal of distortion and create enough heat to blow the sub. So to little power combined with stupidity will also do it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I'd be careful dude, Steven is very very well versed in alot of aspects of car audio, he knows his stuff. He does not post here often but when he does you should definitely read what he writes. I have learned a couple things from him and I would think that he has from me as well. You have to read between the lines in his post but I tend to agree with him, you can clip a signal and feed it to a speaker, if the speaker is designed to dissipate the excess heat buildup it could in fact hang in there all day long being fed a fully clipped signal. Not straight dc of course. Now most speakers are not built to handle this kind of torture. Heat is the number one killer of speakers, it is a natural byproduct of producing power. Clipping  = more power = more heat. Constant use = more heat. With the scenario you posted above I will agree with you if it assumed that a basic sub is used. If it is something that Steven hinted at, well that's a whole different ball game.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic