icon

D class amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
52brandon 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
I am sure this is a common sense question to most of you but bear with me here. How many subs can I hook up to a D class amp? A friend of mine that was an installer at best buy said I could do as many as I want, but I don't believe him. My subs are 4 ohm and 500 watts RMS each. Any amp model/brand suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

are your subs DVC?  It would also depend on the stability of your amp 1 Ohm, 2 Ohm etc..arg work

52brandon 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

what is DVC?

mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
If you think about it you can go parallel, then series ,then parallel, then series  and repeat indefinately while adding subs, until the amp can't push any more.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Dual Voice coil. Like many of the rockford fosgate subs that has two connections
52brandon 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
oh sorry, just was drawing a blank on that one, no they are single voice coil
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

You can still hook up as many subs as you want actually, I have hooked up no fewer than 36 single 4 ohm sub to Rockfords old Power 150.1 amplifier. The smallest mono amp that they had and it knocked the phone off the wall in the Subway next door. While this did not drive the subs to anywhere near the full capabilities, it was sure impressive. So I'm sorry to say that your friend was right, you can in fact keep hooking sub sup to any amp as long as the load on the amp is within the tolerance of it's design. You owe your friend a beer.

As far as properly powering your subs, it is crucial to properly power a sub and match the amp - sub - BOX together with proper use. You need to post more info about your subs, vehicle, cd player, box type etc. Always post the barnd and model # of any equipment used.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
52brandon 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
I am going to be getting a mid 90s cadillac deville, I wrecked my suburban and took my stereo out of it. My subs/box are Audiobahn ABP15, it is a 15" bandpass kit (I may need new subs too because I don't know if they were internally damaged in my accident). I am going to be using a Clarion DVD player for my head unit, the model number is DVS9755z, which brings me to a new question. The head unit uses a 5.1 system for the stereo (2 front, 2 back, 1 sub and 1 middle) and my car has 6 speakers and 2 subs. I am thinking about 2 different ways to hook it up let me know which would be best. 1) hooking up only 4 speakers to the speaker RCAs, and the 2 subs to the middle and sub RCAs, or 2) using 2 y-connectors to split my middle channel into 2 channels and my sub channel into 2 channels (therefore utilizing all of my speakes and subs). Please let me know the positives vs. the negatives, thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
You have a dobly digital surround sound system by the sounds of it if you go with the Clarion dvd. This means front left (1) front right (2) front center (3) rear left (4) rear right (5) and subs (.1) if you are not going to be putting in a front center channel specifically for surround sound, ignore it. This leaves you with a standard cd player for the sake of arguement. Front stage  / rear fill + subs. Are you going to be amplifying all the speakers in the car or using the built in amp in the dvd?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
52brandon 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
I currently have an MTX thunder 6304 4-channel for my highs/mids and was considering another 2 channel amp for my other 2 speakers. On the dvd player there is only 1 RCA for sub output rather than 2 as on most decks, would a y adapter work for that? I just remembered that there is an RCA output on my amp, so I could use that for my other 2 speakers rather than trying to wire it directly from the deck
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic