icon

Bi Amping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Bi Amping is a new term to me. What is it and how does it work. I sort of have an idea from it's name, but how do you hook it up.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on the situation. For example I have a pair of orion coax that are bi ampable. You can hook up a seperate amp to the driver and the tweeter. There are two sets of terminals on the speakers, one set for each amp. What kind of situation are you talking about here, or where did you hear the term if this is just in theroy
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Say for a pair of components, does bi amping increase the sound quality? What is the benefit of wiring a set of components this way verse the alternative way?
Chandler Martin
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
If a component set is bi ampable than it in all likely ness is just like the coaxials I have. One amp for driver, one amp for crossover. I have even seen crossovers with two sets of inputs on it so you can amp the driver and tweeter seperatly and still use the same crossover as whats provided. Tweeters generally cannot handle the same kinda power that a driver can so if you can provide each one with its own channel of power than, in theroy, you could tailor the mix of mid and tweeter to your own tastes and better match the speakers to the amps.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
 So if I have two sets of bi ampable component speakers and a two channel amp, can I hook up one channel to the tweets in parallel and the other channel to the subs in parallel and set the gains at different levels?Bi Amping - Last Post -- posted image.
dmbj 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

mross014 wrote:
 So if I have two sets of bi ampable component speakers and a two channel amp, can I hook up one channel to the tweets in parallel and the other channel to the subs in parallel and set the gains at different levels?Bi Amping - Last Post -- posted image.

As long as you dont care that the highs won't be in stereo Bi Amping - Last Post -- posted image.

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Its not a good idea because you wont get stereo sound out of the speakers. Your imaging would suck as well because of the lack of stereo. If you only have a 2 channel amp then just run them normally.
mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Acually I have a Kicker 600.4, but I was just trying to understand the basics with a 2 channel amp senario. Would a 4 channel amp change anything? Probably not because of the loss of stereo. No?
mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I acually have  a Kicker 600.4, i was just trying to understand the basic concept with a 2 channel amp in the senario. I don't suppose a 4 channel amp would change things since you would still have a loss of stereo.
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Actually the 4 channel changes everything. You could use channel 1 and 2 for each tweeter and then channel 3 and 4 for the mid bass drivers. Make sure you have the proper crossovers for this though or else you could end up getting overlapping frequencies and may put to low of frequencies through the tweeters which could cause them to blow

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic