icon

getting shocked

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sordee 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a large system in my 2001 civic and now every time I get out it shocks me.  The system consists of 8 amps an extra battery, two bat caps and a rockford 50 farad cap.  I noticed getting shocked before but now it is like sticking my finger in an outlet. 

What is the cause of this and what is the solution????

Any ideas will help.

Jason

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
The ultimate theft detereant.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
how and when are you getting shocked?  just touching the vehicle??
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sordee 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

After I have been driving,  I will grab the door handle or the oh sh@@ handle to get out and I will get shocked.

Jason

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just a shot in the dark but what gauge is the ground wire going from battery to frame. Is it stock or did you upgrade it. It sounds like the caps dont have a sufficent path to ground to so when you touch the car its discharging through you. Thats just a shot in the dark from right field though, I am really not sure what is the problem.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
You have a static charge build up and need a ground strap from the underside of the vehicle to the ground.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
i get shocked a lot when i get out of my car during the winter time. when i get out though, i just touch my key to my door (a metal part) to discharge. but if it hurts as bad as you say... you probably have a big problem that needs to be fixed.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Yep, sounds like statis electricity.  Check the ground strap between the enging and the chassis, and get a discharce strap like Rob suggests.
Support the12volt.com
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
If you dont have a Strap installed try holding the door then stepping out, you wont get shocked.
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

I used to have the same problem with my car.  I've started grabbing the metal on the kickpanel as I exit the car, and I have not gotten shocked since. 

I do have a small car that is low to the ground tho...so I need the little boost trying to climb out of it anyways ;)

-a

1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic