icon

relay to remote start car w/carburetor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kick_ass2k1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have an 86 cutlass supreme, and i recently got a remote start system from a friend of mine that upgraded to a aviper system. I installed it, and everythign works fine, except when i remote starat it, i have to get inside the car and pump the gas pedal 1x-2x first because it is a carbeurated car! So I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this before. I was thinking of how to maybe mount an actuator to the throttle, somewhere under the hood. And then either (easiest way) use the aux button on the remote and hook it up to an actuator using a relay so i cana press it 2x before pressing the remote start button, or (if possible, preferred way) somehow make a relay do the same thing only from the remote start button, ex. i press the remote start button, and in the 5 secs. it takes before the start actually occurs, have somethign trigger the relay 2x so that it will give the gas pedal 2 pumps before it trys starting. If anyone has any clue what i'm talking about, any ideas would be awsome. I have no clue where to start. I dont really want to use the aux for the pedal pump because i like having it for trunk, but if i must, then id rather be able to use the remote start functionality of it. Thanks!
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Using a relay connected to channel 2 output and a solenoid on the throttle would be the easiest way to do it, assuming you don't have a spare channel to program(what kind of r/s, btw?).
In order to have the unit automatically perform that function, you'd need a pulse timer and probably a couple extra relays.
Kick_ass2k1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

Im not excatly sure what model r/s it is since i got it used with no manual.    the remote looks like a aidiovox model, 3 bottons only on it (arm/disarm being same button, start/kill, and aux) with the model number APS95BT3SAW on the remote.  And where can i find an acatuator that will pull only when power is applied to it, unlike a door lock actuator which i believe would have to have power tell it to release also?  And this pulse timer you mentioned, I would be most willing to try that if you would tell me how it works.  I have looked all around the internet to try and find a system that will do this with no luck, so im readay to spend a good amount (up to $100 I guess) on building this myself.  Thanks for your help.

PS, if there is naother remote start ou there that can do this thaat I havent seen yet, or nother that will make doing this easier, I might get it before i go too far with this one.

kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
you can get a trunk pop soleniod I believe the dei part number is 522T. If you alarm is an audiovox, or any other most have more than one aux channel, you might have to press lock/unlock at the same time etc., but I would check that out.  other than that I can think of anything.  Just an idea, but will it remote start if you pump the gas a few times, then get out, wait a while then try and start it.  You may just be able to pump the gas pedal, when you get out each time, then RS later?  just a suggestion.
Kick_ass2k1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

Nah, the gas in the carb will evaporate out of it after abour 30 min.  And so yes, i did think about figuring out how to set it to start every 30 min and run for 5 min...but that would be worse of a problem than this.  And, I thought about the trunk pop selenoid today also while i was driving, i think it will work.  So what is this pulse timer thing that chriswallace187 was talking about?  I'm interested in trying it.

...Every one of you out there with fuel injection just don't know how much you take it forgranted...

Zero10 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Lol, sure we do (us fuel injected guys that is).
I installed a remote start on an old subaru wagon, and ran into the same problem you have. A friend of mine told me that through a few carb adjustments, you can get it to start without pressing the gas at all, but it will really bump the idle up (1500ish), and I decided that was not worth it. My remote starter had an aux button as well, that when you pushed the button on the remote, it would send about a 1 second pulse on the aux output wire on the starter/alarm. I hooked it up to a small solenoid, with a spring return, and fabbed up a couple small brackets to position it directly infront of the throttle wheel (or whatever you call it) on the side of the carb. Same effect as pumping the gas before you start it. Worked like a charm.
That said, I sure do appreciate my new car, just push the button, and it starts every time, none of this extra fooling around =)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic