icon

enhancing the front stage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  

Right now I got Diamond M3 seriers 5.25" components in the door, the tweeters are on the dash being bounced off the front windshield.  My front stage is there, but could really use some help.  I have been thinking of a few ideas.  Maybe upgrading the speakers to the M6 seriers or maybe HEX.  But was thinking power might be a problem, only got 75 watter per ch.  Was also thinking of adding kick panels and adding another set of components and wiring them in parallel to the front speakers. If i did this i was thinking the M6 seriers.  What do you guys think?  Is 75 watts enough to drive the M6 or HEX series speakers?  As always thanks.

Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  
both the m6 and the hex series 5.25" are between 20-150 watts  so your 75 should work just fine.
Quad L Handyman services
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you want to add some spanking midbass to the front.  I would try another route before going parallel to the front components.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the first question is what do you think is missing from your sound?
Support the12volt.com
netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i need some mid base, but all i got is the 5 ch amp.  I really do not want to add another amp.  Should i run parrallel  off the rear speakers or the front?  I was thinking the rear becase of the increase of THD.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

If you need better mid-bass than your comps currently provide, here's a suggestion.  Get a nice set of 7" woofers like any of these.  I like the sound of the Scan Speak woofers or the Peerless.  Focal and Vifa are also pretty much the same as Scan Speak  Build sealed enclosures to the woofer spec you chose and install them in the kick panels.  Build a passive 2-way crossover at around 250 to 600 Hz depending on how much you want to drive the sound to the new woofers, with the low pass to your new woofers (or notch it between your sub frequency and your target setting) and use the high pass to feed the crossovers for the component set.  This will direct those mid-bass frequencies to the new woofers and away from the comps without adding amplifier channels.  A project like this is fun and can dramaticly improve your front sound stage and your midbass response.

Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, man! I have seen the system you have going, and right now you have a really good start. I do not know how much you were looking to spend on some new mid-bass drivers, but I have found these. 8's in the door, anybody? I am seriously considering these, instead of the Morel 6 inch MW-162 woofers I have right now. Low profile, and high power handling... PERFECT!!! You have seen my system, and you know what I am looking for. You said you were thinking about pods, but in your Accourd, you are not going to be happy... not enough foot room... Build your doors for these, and I am SURE you will be more than happy with your mid-bass, AND you will not be infringing on the comfort your car has for trips...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, not much excursion capability in those babies, but being that flat I can see why.  Morel's always have a nice neutral sound, so they are probably very nice.  What's the cost?
Support the12volt.com
netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Whoa those drivers look really really shallow.  The problem is with adding speakers is i really do not have anywhere to put them, i was thinking of q-logic kickpanels since they make them for my car, i figure this would the easiest and cost effective way will filling the gap in my mid base.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah......how would i go about building my doors?
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic