icon

Amp fuse and Fan Setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jklint 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
I just hooked up to 90mm fans to my REM on my amp to keep it cool. At first I had it wired up with just tape until I could get could connectors. After stopping at Radio Shack and getting good plug connectors and 4 way connectors I rewired (the exact same way, just with the connectors) it. After I turned the car on and went to the trunk the fans were spinning then the fuse blew? My amp and the fan share the same ground, is that a problem? Its on the bolt near the trunk latch. Also my setup is as follows: RF 401s amp (bridged), Lightening Audio .5 farad cap, 8 ga power and ground, with the two 90 mm fans running on 18 ga wire. Any ideas?
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldnt try to power the fans with the remote turn on lead. The fuse almost certainly blew because you tried to draw too much power. You could hide a relay somewhere and give it 12 volts and just use the remote turn on to energize the coil of that relay. Have a look at the relay page on this site. Shouldnt be any problem with sharing the ground. Which fuse blew?
jklint 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
It was the fuse off the power cable nearest the battery. Yes I have looked at the relay page. Matter of fact that is was how I got the idea to use what I have right now. The REM is hooked to the relay, the relay is sharing juice with the amp power cable (maybe thats the problem, although it worked fine for about a week before I rewired with connectors) and the ground. Maybe it was just a freak thing, I am going to get some more fuses today and Ill see if it was a one time thing or if it will blow again. I guess then I will know for sure. Any ideas?
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
perhaps the fuse isnt adequate for the extra amperage drawn by the fans. You could run a separate fused line to them.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Try a fuse at a slightly lower rating.  If it blows right away you know it was no freak occurrence (rarely is it).  Never try a higher rating.  I suggest a separate wire, same as the REM wire, to run the fans.  Fuse it near the connection under the dash with a 3 amp fuse, or find the amp rating of the fans combined and fuse it with that number.  Also, fuse your REM wire with a 1/2 amp fuse while you're doing all this.  Leave the REM wire to remote-on the amp and do nothing else.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jklint 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I thought about using a seperate fuse. I just got a little lazy I guess and thought that if I ran it off the amp cable that was already fused that I could get away with it. I guess Ill have to pick up a couple extra fuses and give it a try.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic