icon

Get more outta my Brutus 1500D

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fintheman 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

Okay -  I think the upgrade bug is hitting me!

I wanna get more SPL outta my 1500D

I currently have one Diamond Audio TDX 12 D2 in a 1.5 sealed box

For some reason, I don't think its putting out as much bass as I wanted.  I'm just clueless to what to upgrade to since the TDX is supposed to be one hell of a sub.  I'll also be putting the TDX up for sale once I get the new sub, or subs in, I think I will spend about 400 bucks on two subs or one sub, whatever will work the best for this. 

I have the gain set pretty good (no clipping, etc.,)

It just seems like it doesn't get any louder once I go past 5 on the turn up for the sub with the unit @ 80.  I know this amp is capable of so much more, so what should I do?

-fin 

Serving the country, one coffee at a time.
USAF!
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

with that sub and amp you should be more than satisified...have you trouble shot your setup yet?

Quad L Handyman services
fintheman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

I wish I could get it metered to be able to tell you guys what I am hitting.

Troubleshot? How so, I got it installed professionally.  But I am thinking my box may be the issue if you think that I should be happy with that.

Whenever I have late night tip in at a good power, it shakes parts of my dash pretty good as well as my rear bumper if that helps explain it.  But that is with the rear seat folded down.

-fin

USAF!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have the dual 2 ohm sub series-wired to 4 ohms (500 watts), or parallel-wired to 1 ohm (1500 watts)?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fintheman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

I had someone else wire it to 1500 for me, maybe I should take it out and double check that.

They didn't know what they were doing to wire it, but I did get them instructions of the web when we decided to. 

USAF!
Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
you should definately make sure that it is wired in 1ohm because with 1000+ watts i know that sub will be heard and make your ears hurt.. just a side question whats the vehicle?
Quad L Handyman services
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
fintheman wrote:

Troubleshot? How so, I got it installed professionally. 

But he didn't know how to wire the sub?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fintheman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Long story

I got sick of that shop and took the it to another one to get everything done and finished cause I saw they were  crappy, the new shop did everything practically except the wiring of the sub.

And if I had one voice coil blown, I'd know it? Right?

-fin

USAF!
Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
yes you should be able to tell....you need to pull the sub out of the box and check the wiring or take a dmm and test the terminals coming from the sub box. to see what load its wired at.
Quad L Handyman services
fintheman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

Okay - I got access to a DMM so that shouldn't to be hard to do once I get to work on monday , my shop does electronical component repair, so I have everything everyone would dream of on this forum to do work on electronics, too bad I'm not more into it.

I rode over to my girl's house and it was loud, maybe I am crazy..... I know for one, that the SQ on the diamond is very precise still.

I just know if I had two 12" turned to around 36hz that it would make me go crazy it would be so loud.  I was even thinking of a Brahma or a XXX 12" or 15" for it. 

I have to send in a tweeter to CDT audio because I think it blew, or its just acting wierd, so I gotta send that in

2001 Cavalier 4-door if you wanted to know the specs

Got CDT 61'as, Eclipse 5423, Alpine v12 amp (110x2) for the components which sound pretty good, could use a little more punch to the mid-bass though.  So as far as Sound Quality, I'm pretty sure I nailed it on the head, because I honestly haven't heard anything better so far that wasn't inside some q-pods and $$$ paid for it.  My buddy had some XRs sounded a little more ....Crisper , the cdts are soft but I like that.

-fin

USAF!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic