icon

1 ohm stable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Clarion DPX 1000 amp which is 1ohm stable and two new 10" PG Titanium 4omh DVC subs. The subs are rated at 500 watts RMS. The installer said I should have gotten the 4ohm SVC if I wanted to hook it up to 1ohm bridged. Since I bought the wrong subs he had to hook it up 2 x 250 watts at 2ohms each side which is only half of what the amp is capable of. What would I have to do to get the 1ohm configuration? It's for a van, so I have the room for more subs.  If I bought two more 4ohm DVC subs, how would I hook them up to get down to one ohm? And if that is possible, each sub would only see 250 watts of power right? Would they be too under powered? 1 ohm stable -- posted image.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

1 ohm stable -- posted image.

You should be able to get to one ohm with 2 dvc 4 ohm subs

mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

The installer tried to set it up like this and it went into protection right away as he slowly  turned up the volume. He said he never saw an amp go into protection that fast and was afraid the fuse went. It didn't blow either of the three 30 amp fuses.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe its because its a clarion.... 1 ohm stable -- posted image.
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Was the gain turned all the way up when you were turning up the volume? Was the gain set correctly? Perhaps you should try setting it up again this way and see what happens.
mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Come to think about it, he didn't do anything to the gain that I saw. If he left the gain where it was with the old speakers, the gain was only at 1/3.

casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

You might want to take the your stuff in to a shop and let some experts handle it, that is unless you have the knowledge and equipment to do it yourself. I am currently working on getting the knowledge in that area. seems kinda hard to get anyone to clarify it for me, so you might be better off at least going in to a shop and having them explain it to you. Try and read between the lines though, from what I have noticed a lot of audio shops will hire anyone who is able to connect two wires. However there are some very good shops with extremely smart people. All im saying is make sure the person your taking to knows what he/she is talking about. Best of Luck. 

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Your problem is this... you are BRIDGING the amp into a one ohm load, whic is 1/2 ohm per channel stereo... can't do that. You need DVC *8* ohm woofers! Yes, 4 4ohm coils in parallel *is* 1 ohm, but when you bridge an amp, it sees TWICE the load per channel, or one half the impedance! With DVC 4 ohm drivers, you cannot get to one ohm per channel... unless you have 4 of them, two per side...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

Bang on with the advice dude. This amp is 1 ohm stereo stable or 2 ohm mono stable. Thus you are trying to make it do something it was not designed to do and the wiring method above will send this amp into protection real quick. This is the best way to wire it with the subs you have, it is not the optimum output, but it is the same as wiring it at 2 ohm stereo. Underpowering a sub is fine as long as the amps gain is set properly.

Wiring Option #2

1 ohm stable -- posted image.

Your best bet is to return the subs or the amp and get a better match.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
I say anyone should buy an amp that will give your subs the power they want at a 4 ohm bridged rating.  It's great that the amp is 1 ohm stable, but leave it at that.  Run it at 2 ohms, or 4 ohm bridged, and get the cleaner power to the speaker.  Less harmonic distortion and better damping.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic