icon

HID Kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'm stumped here. I ordered an HID kit for my car('02 Sunfire, bulbs are 9007s) from www.slickcar.com. The kit is made by a company called NFA. It was not specified on the site whether the bulbs were high and low beam, but I assumed they were since 9007s are.
The kit came today, and the hardware looks wonderful, the bulbs fit fine, and they lit up when hooked to the battery. The problem is that the instructions are worthless - they say "Connect the lamp connector of former halogen lamp with the connector of the source of electric power. (Red to +, Black to -).", and nothing at all else about the wiring.
Sorry if I'm ranting a bit. Here are my questions.
1. Do these kits(or factory HID for that matter) normally come with separate wires for high and low beams?
2. If they do, has anyone gotten satisfactory high and low beam performance out of a kit like I've described using transformers or resistors or anything like that?
3. Anyone have any general complaints/compliments about slickcar.com?
4. Why can't companies hire a decent English speaker who vaguely understands the product to write their instruction manuals?
Any answers at all will be greatly appreciated, especially to the first two ?s. Have a great day!
p71-cruiser 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
answer # 1 only one I can do HID Kit - Last Post -- posted image. is yes i have seen bigger wire guage come with the kit because the new HID lights take so much more power (amps and watts)than the old style lighs and your car wiring can't handle.
so with your instruction manual I would say you would have to connect up a wire to your battery for power to your lights.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for answering, but what I was asking was whether the kits usually had 3 wires(one hi-beam, one lo-beam, and one common power or ground). This kit only has 2 wires going to the ballasts.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have never seen a after market HID kit with HI-LOW beams. Simply a single low beam for each side.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  

Here iyou can find  some info on the matter.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/hidxenon.html

And by the way they are illegal.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
I've kind of assumed that they're not street legal at this point. I just wish the website would have said something beforehand, but oh well.
Right now I'd just like to get decent high and low beam function out of them. The factory wiring can be used to activate relays for the HIDs. What I was thinking is to use transformers, regulated power supplies, or resistors in order to have lower current/voltage for the low beam. Can anyone send more info or diagrams on how to do this? Thanks in advance
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

You might have better luck in here:

http://hidforum.com/

The forum is all about hid lights and someone  there might have a way to do it.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a lot...hopefully the hidforum has something.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic