icon

Need some help picking mid compnents

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 mustang GT coupe.  My current setup is a Kenwood 911-DVD reciever, a 12" w7 ported with a JL 1000/1, 2 pairs of MBquart 6.5" QSD's powered by a JL 300/4.

The MBquarts have been in a few cars and are about 2 years old now.  The tweeters are starting to become raspy and every now and then I get some crackle noise from the the mids.  Not blown but I think they are just giving up. 

So I am looking to dumb the qsd's and get a new set of components.  I want something that will not overheat my jl 300/4 but provide enough volume to keep up with the w7.  I would like to do this without having rear components.  I want something that has really good midbass.  So what do you guys recommend? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
How much are you planning to spend?  HERE's what I run in my personal car for front comps and I love them.
Support the12volt.com
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

I was thinking about going with JL  XR653-CS.   They 3-ways.  I can get them for $249.

Where do they compare to the Lotus's you are getting, price and sq wise?

My plan with the 3 ways, was to install the 6.5" in the door, the mid and highs in kick panel.  I think that will not only give me great sound, but think it will look awesome at the same time. 

crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
my fear is that running only one pair of components is going to get overpowered by the w7 in the trunk.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
I must admit I have not heard the JL set you reference.  If you like their sound, go for it.  The Lotus set goes for around $850.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
If the Quart speakers were bought at an authorized dealer and installed by an authorized dealer then they should be under the 3 year warranty limit still. After 2 years of good use most speakers are a little tired and just may need a little tlc (replacement under warranty). That is quite a benchmark that you have for speakers, the bar is set pretty high to compare with, so far if you want to replace them I would consider the ones Dyohn recommends. Buy what your ears like but remember what sounds good in a store will sound totally different in your car. If you like how the Quarts sounded in years gone by, look into the warranty avenue first.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic