icon

Alternator question for Civic.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dzelaya18 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone, I just found this site, and wanted to say that it looks excellent. Seems to be alot of helpful people around here.

Anyway, I installed a basic system in my '99 Honda Civic LX, nothing fancy, just wiring and subs. The amp I put in only makes 440 rms, nothing crazy, but surprsingly it will move your hair and rattle your teeth. Thing is, a week after the install, the battery is dead. So I unplugged everything and bought a cheap-o battery temporarily. Yesterday I went and bought an Optima Yellowtop battery, but was wondering if I should up the alt. as well. The stock Civic alternator only puts out 60amps, for the little D16 engine. My main question is this: Do you guys think that the Optima would survive on the stock alt. since it is such a strong battery? Or should I really play it safe, especially with furure power upgrades in mind, and get something like this

http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=highoutputalternators&uid=12433&returnURL=http%3A//www.4alterstart.com/highoutputalternators

to make enough power? The alt. in that link should run 440w all day long yawning, but it would really serve its purpose if I decided to go for bigger power at some later time.  What do you guys think? Get the alt. now, or wait until upgrade time? Thanx for any advice guys, I'm still pretty green when it comes to car audio, so I really appreciate you help. ---D.

neo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
do you have a cap.?
dzelaya18 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
No, I was told by many people that, considering the relative low-power of the system, that the Yellowtop would suffice, due to its high recharge rate and reserve capacity. I was thinking that the bigger alternator would recharge the battery at a rapid rate, so a cap would be uneeded until i decide to go up into 800+ watt range. ---D.
neo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

with only 440 watts rms you should be fine with just the battery.  Your alternator should charge it just fine unless its on its last leg.

Neo,Solving All The Wolrlds Problems

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

You are right that the alternator is the first thing to upgrade before thinking about things like capacitors.  But getting one now for that Civic may not be your best move.  Who knows what car you'll have when your next upgrade in power comes.  Was the battery about 3 years old when it died?  And did you try to trickle-charge it before you bought that new battery?  Any good battery will suffice for the system you have now, even one from Wal-Mart.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Whether you have a cap or not, upgrade the alternator. A 440 watt amplifier can pull as much as 30 amps by itself, and if you have air (20 amps), PS, cruise, headlights (15 amps), etc., you will need more alternator capacity. GET THE ALTERNATOR! Make sure you upgrade the charging cable to the battery as well! DO NOT USE THE STOCK ONE! For 150 amps, you will want a 4 gauge, minimum... I know everybody is going to say "But you're not pulling that much power..." I don't care, if your alternator can MAKE 150 amps, you need a cable that can HANDLE 150 amps. Do it for safety, else your charging cable could possibly get hot, melt a small hole in the insulation, and some day you might come out to a shell of a car... just do it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
neo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'm pulling 1,000 watts from a stock alternator and batter and i'm havin no trouble with my lights dimming and night or otherwise.  Although i do have a truck which could make a difference.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Neo, solving all the world's problems except SPELLING......
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
damn lol forbidden does it again.
southsider
neo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

I can spell perfectly when I chose to do so.  I'm not the worlds best typer by no means and people can make mistakes. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic