icon

Alternator conversion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ajpjr 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Converting my old Ford from a generator to alternator. A bit confused on wiring. Alternator is Ford Motorcraft with attached regulator. Alternator has a battery plug with two wires also has a STA plug . The attached regulator has  an A  S  I  plug. I connect the batt wire to the positive side of my starter solenoid. The STA on alternator I attached to the S plug of attached regulator. Where does the A  wire and the I wire on the attached regulator go and how does this hook in to the wires on my old generator regulator which is marked  A  F  B.
ragtoplvr 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

first is to determine which alternaor version you have, 2G,3G,4G or 6G

2G  Solid back end, 2 plugs, one is BBS other is ASI.  You probablly do not have this one.  B $B go to battery.  S goes to S on regulator plug.  I goes to ingition, thru light.  A is battery

3G  3 castings, the thin one in the back may be black, and there are 2 plugs, one on regulator is ASI, another one not marked is on the rectifier , is a small pin sticking out.  The little wire terminal goes to the S.  A goes to nattery.  I goes to ingition thru lamp.

4G  short fat one, with stamped metal end cover.  A goes to battery.  I goes to ingition, thru lamp. 

6G  looks a lot like 3G except regulator is under cover in back, A goes to battery, I goes to ingition thru lamp. 

You probablly have a 3G.  Look at the regulator, if it says SE, then no connection is needed.  Self exciting 3G regualtors are available, and make this a lot easier, just connect to battery.

Good luck

Rod

Rod

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic