icon

Wiring Info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fredskmgi 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
I'm planning to wire a 4 channel amp to all of my inside speakers in my car. Is there a easier way to wire my cd player wiring harness so that I don't have to run additional speaker wire from each speaker to the amp? Thanks
Djmajicmark1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Just don't wire the speakers into the wire harnesse, and wire that amp into it. Make sure the wire can handle the power. I know sometime they are small wires, Take the RCA outs from the HU to the amp, thent he speaker wires to the wire harness. Personally I would just rewire it. It may be easyer than trying to splice in new wires some place or stuffing a sh*t load of wires threw the dash. and hell im assuming your going to mount the amps in the truck, it will be right their by the rear speakers anyways. again that depends on the car. you didn't say what type of car.

Mark

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed with Mark.  One of the benefits of using a harness is so that removal of the aftermarket head and replacement of original factory system can take place without having cut wires to deal with.  And new speaker wire has to be run through the car anyway.  The OEM speakers are connected with plugs;  those plugs should be disconnected and the new wires attached to the speakers.  You'll no doubt want to upgrade from the OEM speakers, too, so hang on to the originals so they can be plugged back in if the need arises.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gotitluser 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
 I am a newbe but i have put in about 5 systems like that and i agree with the other 2.   spend the time and do it right.  also keep the other wire in the car so if you sell it you can put all the stock stuff in
Fredskmgi 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone, I think I got it. Ok, so basically I have to do is run my speaker wire from each inside speaker to the amp and then run an additional RCA jack from my headunit to the amp. I changed out front and rear speakers before and they usually have a factory plug to hook up the speakers. I usually cut those off but if I wanted to keep the plug, well then how would I be able hook up my new speakers to this plug?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Keeping the OEM speakers, you would have to cut off the plug and solder the new wires to the cut wires on the plug.  Only if you were replacing the factory speakers would you remove the plug with no cutting involved.  Tape off the original wires and secure them down.

Just re-read your post:  if you are replacing the OEM speakers, and will leave them in the car, there is no reason to keep the plug.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
There is a very easy and fast way to do it using an aftermarket harness.  Connect the front speaker wires of the harness to the rear speaker wires of the same harness.  LF to LR and RF to RR.  Now in the trunk of your car, connect the rear speakers directly to the amp and connect the front channel wires to the speaker wire that used to connect the rear speakers.  Since you rerouted the wires behind the radio, these will now power the front speakers..  All you have left is to run power, ground , remote turn-on and rca cables to the amp.  It's simple and you dont have run new wire to each speacker. 
Do it right the first time

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic