icon

Line Driver

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have an Alpine 9805 which has a 4 volt output voltage. The front and rear outputs go to a 4 channel Kicker 600.4 and the sub output to a Clarion 1000DPX. Would I get  clearer and cleaner sound if I installed a higher voltage line driver or would it just be a waste of money?

LivnLouder by the paycheck
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Actually a 4 volt output is good.  What I usually do when connecting more that one amp is run a relay from the remote turn-on.  This will elliminate the delays.
Do it right the first time
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you have your gains cranked on your amps right now you probobly should consider a line driver (which would improve your signal to noise ratio, reducing backround hiss if there is any). That Alpine deck will probobly only produce 4 volts out of its preamp output when its clipping. Audio Control makes good line drivers.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

^ good advice that money cannot buy. The Alpine 4 volt preout is usually measured at 1000hz, anyone can make power at 1000hz. My bet is that your sub level preout is probably closer to 1.5 - 2 volts before it clips when used with the appropriate test frequency (meaning 100hz or less). Thus a Audio Control line driver would be a good choice. The EQS would be a devastating eq / line driver to add to your system.

The other option (waits for some to say I told you he'd say it) is to upgrade the cd player to a nice fine Eclipse CD5444or and not have to worry about an outboard eq / line driver etc. The more streamlined you can make your system the better ir will perform. There are very few cd players that I will group in with Eclipse, sadly Alpine is not one of them but they used to be a looooong time ago.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
I love the quick plugs for the eclipse in your posts. Anyways, the phoenix gold line driver is nice as well.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic