Non-Pressed, Non-Transfer Paper Cone
KM3’ Coated for Virtually No Cone Distortion
2” 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil
Dual 4 Ohm
2 or 8 Ohm Operation
Mounting Dimensions: Depth; 5 1/4”
Hole; 10 7/8” Diameter; 12 1/2”
MULT-CONNECT Lug Lock Terminals

My local stereo shop told me to wire my subs like this..

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel

Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms

AMp set to MONO with LPF on..

two 4 ohm DVC wired to at 2 ohms - Last Post -- posted image.THis doesn't seem right??

Now the way i had is running orginally.. was

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel
4ohms running on each channel on STEREO with LPF on..

two 4 ohm DVC wired to at 2 ohms - Last Post -- posted image.

can someone explain and maybe even solve the problem

- suicide

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
your pictures didn't post.
you could only get 2 4ohm dvc subs to 2ohm if you ran each one to its own channel in a parallel circuit. if you wanted to bridge the amp you could run the subs to that with a parallel/series or series/parallel setup. that would give the amp 4ohms/2ohms per channel. just about the same as running each sub to a channel.
Quad L Handyman services
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp is stable only at two ohms stereo, not mono. 2 ohms stereo is the same thing as 4 ohm mono, thus the pic that shows above is the correct way to wire the subs to your amp and have the amplifier reach it's maximum output capabilities safely.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
suicide 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

OK so let me understand this..

If i follow the first diagram above.... when there bridged..   in STEREO it should be fine.. i have them on MONO and no sound comes out...  so i turned them off.. and i have not turned them on since..

-suicide

westend 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have the same wiring as you posted above. If it is run in stereo your amp will be at a 4ohm load. If you have the amp switch to mono your amp will have a 2 ohm load.
suicide 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

so y isn't it working.. i have it run in MONO like the above configuration and no sound is comming out of it..

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

As forbidden said, the Kenwood KAC-7201 is NOT stable at 2-ohms mono.  It is stable at 2-ohms in stereo only. It requires a minimum 4-ohm load in mono.  So if you have your speakers wired for 8-ohms, and then in parallel to the amp you are fine (4-ohms.)  If you have your speakers wired for 2-ohms, they must be in series to the amp (4-ohms) or connected to the amp in stereo (one sub to each channel.)  If you have your speakers wired for 2-ohms and then they are in parallel to the amp in mono, you have created a 1-ohm load which the amp will definately not handle.  Indeed, if you had a 1-ohm load on that Kenwood, it is possible you have fried the amp.  If you are unsure, get professional help from an install shop.  I assume you have checked all your fuses as well?

Support the12volt.com
suicide 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

when i first turned it on i got no sound... then i turned it off and tried again and then nothing happened.. so i checked the fuses on the amp and they where both blown.....

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
Then I suspect you have the system wired wrong.  You need to re-wire as described in this thread.  If you do not understand all the information already posted for you on this thread, I respectfully suggest you go to your nearest install shop and get some help.
Support the12volt.com
BChillin83 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic