icon

ohm’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
northballer 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
What is the best 1OHM, 2OHM, 4OHM I see this but really dont understand it. How do you get a SUB to perform at diffrent OHM'S and how do you get AMPS to perform at deffrent OHM'S is it all in the wiring someone please explain. Thanks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
It is all in the wiring.  Ohms are electrical resistance.  Purchase you amp and then purchase a sub (or subs) with the proper resistance to match the amp.  Go here and read through some of the tutorials if you really want to learn.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
And then ask lots of questions, no matter how stupid they may sound (try the search function first though.)
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

That does explain alot Thanks But I have a couple of questions and maybe I missed it from the site but is lower ohms better and can an amp with low ohm specs like a 2 OHM anp handle a higher amount of ohms Like 8 OHM but a higher rated amp like 4 OHM cant handle a lower amount I think I have a pretty good Idea though from the wiring they show THANKS

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Amplifier ratings specify wattage into MINiMUM load.  Any load higher than the ratings is safe, it's just that the effective power output decreases.  Indeed, audio amplifiers operate better at higher ohm loads as they do not have to work as hard.  The lower the ohms in the speaker load the higher the current flow out of the amplifier.  The higher the current flow, the hotter the amp gets and the more noise and distortion it produces.  At too low an ohm load, the amplifier cannot sustain the current and it either shuts down, blows a fuse or it produces max smoke.
Support the12volt.com
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
amps can always handle higher impedences (a 2ohm rated amp can handle a 3, 4, 8...ohm loads) a amp rated at 4ohms may or may not be able to handle 2ohms.
usually you run at higher impedences when you want more of a sound quality setup because when you push your amps to the max at 2 or 1ohm then the s/n ratio becomes worse and worse....
Quad L Handyman services
northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
This explains alot I have had 2 amps that started smoking and I thought they just went bad. If they smoke does it mean they are ruined.
DYohn 
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Smoke = bad and usually = ruined.  In all cases, if an amp smokes, it will probably no longer operate at it original specs if it still operates at all.
Support the12volt.com
northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help.
JungleBadger 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged  

So if your amp says it will run at 2ohm and 4 ohm it all depends on how I wire the speakers to get it to perform at the differrent ohm level? so say I'mm looking at specs like

• 4 Channels

• 60 x 4 RMS @ 4-ohms

• 120 x 4 RMS @ 2-ohms

• 240 x 2 RMS @ 4-ohm Briged

•  

I would have to wire two 4ohm speaks in parallel in order to achieve 2ohm amp output?

Sorry been reading about this and the books kind of leave that part unanswered.

Boooooooom Chack Boooom Booooooom Chack
    Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic