icon

Need Fiberglass Advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
big_ed 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I am building my first set of kick panels.  I am using white fleece and Bondo brand Home Solutions fiberglass resin from the home depot.  It says "no shrinking" on the can but I am not so sure about that.  I made the back  of the kickpanels in my car (two fleece layers) and let them dry for about a day then pulled them out.  They seemed to fit well except they looked warped about 1/4" (1/4" gap at the top) at the top so the fit wasnt perfect but i could live with it.  I then made my MDF rings, aimed them, fleeced the front, and fiberglassed it.  Looked great except that when i put the pods in the car the 1/4" gap was not about 1.5" and the upper portion was visibly curled inward even more.  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG....AHHHHHHHHH.  Do you guys have this problem, or do you use an epoxy based resin...???  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kick his A$$ c-bass
AirNavy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Did you use fleece to make the base mold? If so that could be the culprit. The base mold should be made from resin and mat.
drunkenbreaker 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
I'm backing AirNavy, always back enclosures with f/g mat or f/g cloth. 
big_ed 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Nice appreciate the advice.  Yes I did use 2 layers of fleece for the back mold.  Does the fleece shrink???
Kick his A$$ c-bass
AirNavy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
It would appear that if it is not stretched and anchored in some way it does shrink. Thanks for finding that out for us... Need Fiberglass Advice -- posted image.
big_ed 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Lol ouch do i sense some sarcasm.   JK yeah I guess I didnt think it would shrink at all, at least from what everyone has been telling me in forums and such.  What i have noticed is that it doesnt fully cure in 1.5 hours.  When i did the back panels i laid the first layer (spray glued to the masking so it wouldent move), and then did the second layer about 2 hours later.  After letting that dry for about a day i pulled it out of the car and it would fit.  But a few days later is when the problem arrived.  I talked to a sales rep for one of the fiberglass resin manufactures and he said that basically all polyester resins will shrink to some degree and will not reach full hardness for at least a couple of days.  I think next time i will go for an epoxy resin.
Kick his A$$ c-bass
big_ed 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Any other advice???? anyone....Bueller...??
Kick his A$$ c-bass
drunkenbreaker 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
poly is stronger than epoxy.  It's also sprayable if you have a gun
big_ed 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Really?? I read from various resources that epoxy is stronger and does not shrink.  The only real disadvantages are the cost and you need to sand between layers if you wait more that one day.  Anyone ??
Kick his A$$ c-bass
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

might of been a combination of shrinking and if the base wasnt stiff enough you could have warped or bent it when you stretched the fleece over the top.  if it can flex, its not hard enough.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic