1999 s-10 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ronald Mark 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys,
I have a friend with a 99 s-10 with a remote start. It has worked great for many years. (on the truck since new)
Now the truck will intermittenly start and die. If you then wait 10 min it will run. We disconnected the remote start and it does the same thing. I have looked at the GM wire schematic and cannot see a way to bypass the passlock. The dealer says New BCM? any Ideas. Will a DEI 555 fix this? Look at this Schematic, what could I feed the yellow wire on the bcm to satisfy it?
1999 s-10 remote start -- posted image.
Ronald Mark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
I did some more digging and found when the passlock is activated it cuts off fuel. The fuel pump relay is signaled by the BCM. Could I not just then feed the fuel pump prime connector with sw. ign. power to bypass the passlock portion of the bcm? See attached:
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on what is wrong with the Passlock system you can't bypass the system. All the bypasses duplicate the signal that is produced by the ignition key turning in the ignition cylinder. The Passlock circuit in the ignition cylinder puts a certain resistance on the Passlock circuit which gives a particular voltage to the BCM on the Passlock signal wire. If the dealer has diagnosed that the problem is in the BCM then the only thing that can be done is to replace it. The BCM is the brain for the Passlock system and enables the vehicle to start. There isn't any way to bypass the operation of the BCM. Make the dealer guarantee that if replacing the BCM doesn't fix the problem then you shouldn't have to pay. You shouldn't have to pay if their diagnosis is wrong. If they now what they are doing they should have the confidence to guarantee their work. If not find another shop that will.
sparky
Ronald Mark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Sparkie.
The Dealership will not guarantee that is the problem, thats what they think. They said it could also be the passlock sensor and harness, and they are still not convinced it is not the remote start.
The Remote start unit is a prestige aps55lr. I beilive the Passlock is bypassed by installing a resistor in the ribben cable. I am wondering if the resistance is slightly off. When I start the truck with the remote, then put in the key the security light will come on. if I do just the key, or just the remote, no security light.
When the no start problem occurs it happens with the key or the remote. I am wondering if it is wired so that the bcm sees power through the resistor every ign. cycle wether the key is in it or not. If so, and if the resistance is slightly off wouldn't this cause an intermitten? Also it would explain the security light on becuase of a difference in res.
I tried starting the vehicle last night and it worked perfect. I tried it with both the remote and the key. I must have done it thirty times and it worked perfect every time.
I have the bcm located for $192 and I can program it with a Tech 2. I am now not convniced its it. what now?
I am thinking about removing the bypass that the installer put in and see if that fixes it, then I could install a PLDATA Passlock 2 In 1 Wire Bypass so the remote start would work.
Ronald Mark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, it happened again last night and would not start. He tried for 2 hours. If the system is bypassed this way:
And perhaps there is a bad connection on the bcm side of the yellow wire, wouldn't that cause the problem I am Havein?
On this truck where would I likely lok for the bypass, the column or underdash?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic