icon

2002 Kia Optima stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

I am working on a 2002 Kia Optima, Wired in two amplifiers, one on factory panasonic highs, which are two ohm drivers?? And the other on one 12" sub.

Problem is, first of all, got everything wired, and no go, found there has to be a factory amplifier somewhere, didn't find it, but started pulling wires. Got all the wires pulled and now when car is cranked it has a high pitch whine, not that of engine noise, its a persistant whine.

Checked grounds to amps, good, checked HU ground, checked RCA's, even tried a capacitor on the switched +12V, Tried regrounding deck to chassis and did away with factory ground, tried a different HU, noise was still there, only in the rear deck speakers, haven't wired the doors yet. Anyone dealt with these cars??

Also, if anyone has wiring diagram for above mentioned car, would be a great help, looking for front speaker coloring. Thanks in advance

mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
sometimes when you wire two amps, they kinda compete with each other. just set the gain on each of them to the same and that will eleviate your problem
always looking for new info and willing to give it
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Chad.  I haven't done an Optima, but it sounds like you might have a speaker wire grounded to the chassis or a cross-connect between the speakers.  You may have to run completely new speaker wires as I've seen in other Korean cars (Hyundai and Daewoo) that some of the speakers were actually connected in series from the factory.  Did you bypass the factory amp completely?
Support the12volt.com
Chad7n7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well, DYohn, thats the funny thing, to the rear, I pulled new wires, and still the noise, we have eliminated the amp being the problem by running RCA's from a test bench, noise gone, but also ran a jumper set of them from the deck to the amp to eliminate bad RCA's, so it seems to be in the car, cannot find the factory amp, tried calling the dealership, they gave rediculous info, in which they are a Ford/Kia dealership and don't know much about their Kia products it seems, and also used Maid XL software, which in both cases, still nothing. but i am not really going thru it and dont have the remote hooked.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried eliminating the HU? Funny how fast things go bad when something like this happens. I would be tempted to run a jumper set from the car to a set of bench speakers or a bench amp to bench speakers to see if the noise is there or not.
I'd be temped to bench the HU itself to run tests.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
Chad7n7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

Tried a different head unit, as stated before, but thanks for the input.

Have the problem solved, it was the amp, left channel was going out and through playing around with it and playing time........it burned, go figure, Brand new out the box............thats a good drawn out experience with Planet Audio.

Thanks for all the input and thought...greatly appreciated

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic