icon

best components to go with 12w7?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 mustang GT coupe.  I had 2 pairs of mb quart qsd 216's running off a JL 300.4.   I am now looking for something better.  I don't want to run rear components, just the front.  I am thinking that I want a 3way component set.  I would put the mid and tweeters in the door panel, remover the stock grill and fabricate one so they attace to the actual door panel instead of behind it.  and put the woofers into some kick panels.  My problem is finding some reviews and such.  I am eyeing up the JL XR 6.5" 3ways, but they say they are only 70 watts RMS.  I don't think these will be loud enough to go with the 12w7.  So I am looking for suggestions on what to look at.  My current setup is a 12" w7 powered by a JL 1000.1 and a JL 300.4 with no components yet.

Thanks!!

Chris

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
How much do you want to spend?  Look at Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5-3 set, Focal Polykevlar 3-ways, an Eclipse 8701 set, or maybe a Diamond Hex S600 set with the S6mx3 midrange add on.  There are also many other fine choices, these are just some places to start.
Support the12volt.com
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
The boston acoustics pro set looks good to me.  How do you think that will compare to the JL xr 3 ways?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

I've always considered Boston in slightly higher class than JL.  I don't know if the quality of the 2-way drivers is any indication of how the 3-ways sound or not, but I thought the sound from the Diamond Hex 6.5" 2-way set clearly beat the sound from the JL xr 2-way. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
I think that Boston make some of the bedt components out there. I would put up a set of Boston 6 4 tweet against anything out there. I am in the same position as you right now and I think I am doing the Boston Pros. BTW if I was you I would do the 6 in the door and the 4 tweet in the kicks. Way easier to get better imaging.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
if you dont want to go 3 way or mainstream then check out the Adire Audio Koda's , they can take a beating when it comes to rms... i guess they can take over 100 rms a piece without a highpass...
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Boston makes some great some great speakers (I own their entry level component system). I agree with Ravendart on mounting your 4" mid and tweeter in kickpanels, and your 6" woofer in the door. You would get alot better imaging.
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

so any tips on where the cheapest place to pick up a set of these is?  I am looking to spend no more then $450 shipped

titanus_aegis 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

I've heard from BA dealers that BA will be releasing a new version of the Boston Pros very soon. These will supposedly be better than the actual ones, a type of cross between the actual pros and the Z reference series. If you want to go with Boston, you might want to wait for these to come out. They might be a bit pricey for your tastes, but even then their presence in the market will definetely drive down the old Pro's price anyways (I heard the MSRP was going to be $600 for the 2-way set. No 3-way set seems to be scheduled tho).

Titanus

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic