CD Changer Continuous Power Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

Please help a newbie...

Yesterday, I installed an Eclipse CD Changer (CH5083) into my 2004 Honda Civic.  The changer had three wires/cables:   the thick cable that carries the signal, a yellow and red striped wire that is to be connected to a continuous 12 volt power supply, and a black ground wire.

I had no idea where to attach the yellow/red continuous 12 volt power wire.  After making a couple of phone calls and doing some research on the net, I decided to tap into the continuous 12 volt power wire behind the head unit.

The factory wiring harness is connected to the aftermarket harness.  The wires from the aftermarket wiring harness are connected to the wires from the head unit (Eclipse CD8443) via butt connectors.  I took the 12 volt continuous power wire leading from the receiver to the butt connector, stripped about half an inch of insulation off, oppened up an "eye", slid the uninsulated portion of the 12 volt continuous power wire from the CD changer through the eye, wrapped them together, soldered them, and then wrapped the connection with electrical tape.

I reconnected the negative terminal on my car's battery BEFORE hooking up the power to the CD changer and everything worked fine.  I then reconnected the negative terminal on my car's battery AFTER hooking up the power to the CD changer (and grounding it to the chasis).  This caused my Eclipse head unit to go into a security protection mode that may or may not have been caused by a power surge.

Eclipse CD8443's are known for doing this even when someone just disconnects the battery to do routine maintenance on their cars.  However, I never ran into the problem before yesterday so of course i'm a little concerned that it might be because of my amatur electrical work.

Thoughts and/or opinions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
this will happen whenever the power to the radio is cut.    Are you asking a question?  or was that just an opinion or some other type of discriptive commentary on a philisophical car audio experience.     CD Changer Continuous Power Wire - Last Post -- posted image.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

The question I'm asking is if there is anything wrong with tap soldering the continuious 12v power wire from a CD Changer into the continuious 12v power wire from a head unit.

Sorry for the long post, but it's been my experience that you usually get more help from people if you give them a clear picture of what your situation is.

I know that radios lose their presets when you cut the power, but the Eclipse has an ESN security system.  My unit is now locked.  I can't operate it until I get a rolling code from Eclipse customer support to unlock it.  This can occur when there is a power surge to the unit.  That's why I was concerned about the wiring I did.

Tom

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
shouldn't be an issue the connection u used is fine.....   also, you just said you disconnected the battery terminal, i guess that would cut the power to the deck......u think?
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think it has anything to do with any connections that you made, it sounds like you enabled the esn which would make sense since it enables if you ever disconnect power from the hu.  I dont know if you bought the deck from a store or if you got it from a friend or something, if you programmed it yourself just stick the cd in, if not then you have to call customer service to have them tell you how to unlock it, however they are very anal about getting all of your information right (to try to prevent thiefs from unlocking the deck) so you can easily get in some trouble for getting information wrong.  I have the same deck and changer so if you need anything just pm or respond

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic