icon

Concrete Sub Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SplSledz 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 95 Nissan Kingcab, putting 3-15" powerbass extremes in the bed firing thru a crawl through. The guy that designed the box told me to put sonotubes (16" concrete forms for pouring cylinders) inside the box. The box is sealed and the corners have been fiberglassed so that they are curved instead of square, the outside of the box is concreted. Has anyone seen this design before or had any luck using the sonotubes. I've built lots of boxes but have never seen the use of tubes inside a sealed enclosure. Thanks for the help guys!
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
wouldnt a concrete box weigh ur car down a ton?
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
ok, this guy who used concrete.... does he have a clue what he's doing? Concrete is like OldSkooL sound deadener used back when my dad did this kind of stuff. Concrete shouldn't be in installs nowdays as its 1)too freak'n heavy, 2)hard to work with and 3)not as good at what its suppose to do as actual deadnener like Dynamat etc. And why he wants you to put tubes in your box well my only guess would be that he either didn't use internal bracing and just didn't tell you that the box is weaker then it looks, or that he made it too big and needs to fill air space. Seriously recheck this guys stuff as it makes not sense to me.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
I'm guessing the box was designed to imitate a tool box and extends from side rail to side rail in the bed, so the forms are used for both structural support and to take up air space.  And is this a design, not an actual built product?  But you can't connect the bed to the cab, because a truck flexes at that point. 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
not always....grin
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
ah, a slick grin coming from the guy who's building a sub enclosure into the a truck cab from the bed at the meeting point haha.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub.html

sonotube sub use for home theater using 2 shivas from adire audio...known as the water heater.

Use in car audio..and inside a box is puzzeling.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Don't put concrete in a box, especially if its not secured (or else it'll be bumpin and grindin like R Kelly, on your sub, and no, thats not a good thing). If you need to fill airspace then use some mdf and just screw it in layers on to the back or sides. Also I would definitely consider bracing your box (it's a must for SPL applications especially).  
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

The form tube is not made of concrete, it's used for making a concrete post.  The tube is fiberboard.  It's the concrete on the outside of the box that I wonder about.  I would only guess that it's a thin layer trowelled onto a wire mesh to form the curved lines and protect the box from weather.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
so this guy hasn't heard that fiberglass is weather resistant or something?
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic