the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Speedbump, then out cold-Sub or Amp prbm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Headshot 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
I've had this amazing system running for 2 weeks now, and the other day, I was taking some Chicago speed-bumps pretty hard in my Xterra, and the last one was a doozy. Then, my whole system went out cold.
I don't know if it's the HU, or if the Amp's triggering a shutoff. I really don't know where to start, so I'll provide a list of symptoms, clues and facts, and if you have a diagnosis, please lend me some ideas!
* The Kenwood X979 HU shuts itself off now at random, sometimes after warming up, sometimes right away.
* The reset (pen) button turns it back on, with all settings back to default (lost presets, etc.)
* Amp is a Kicker Impulse 405D (runs 4 + sub)
* The HU runs OK if the Monster-main inline-fuse is disconnected from the battery post. So, it's when the amp is cut off that there is no problem.
* The last test I ran was to get the HU running again (via reset) and quickly shut off the Sub (Alpine Type-R 12" IN BOX) via the sub-off button on the HU. So far it stays on with no Sub activated!
* When it does cut out, the MASK face stays open like the batter was disconnected, until I reset the HU, so there is power going to it. It's as if the HU is experiencing a surge or brief cut in power.
All this tells me is that running music thru the HU from the amp (seemingly only with the sub on) appears to shut off my Head Unit at random. I really hate to think that the HU was affected by the speedbump. It would be more logical to think that the sub is somehow affecting the HU.
How that's possible, I just am not knowledgeable about electronics to understand the relationship between the wiring and the whole component system.
So, if anyone can pinpoint this based on my tests, please help a poor stressed out audiofile out! I'd like to believe that this really is an amazing system I've put together, and that the jolt loosened some wiring somewhere. But the Sub seems to be the only constant culprit here.
Thanks!
"Find a profession you love, and you'll never have to work another day in your life."
-Confucious
King_Midas 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
first thing I'd do is check every wire connection, including the fuse holder. next thing I would look at is the sub. take the sub off the box and check the wires that run from the cone to the quick connects.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would check your rca's for your subs, ,they could be grounding out on you, , , thats the only thing i could think of that would effect the deck that way
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Headshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Check them where?
Off the HU, or the Amp?
Someone else in another post mentioned that the Crossovers were lighting up like christmas trees. Mine do too, above the foot cavities, I thought that was normal, until someone in that post said it could be a grounding issue. But they lit up without flaw in sound well before this problem. So it's not related that I can imagine.
The Sub also makes the most sense too, because that big box comes down harder than anything when I take speed bumps!
My Guy is gonna look it over tonight,
"Find a profession you love, and you'll never have to work another day in your life."
-Confucious
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
the lights are distortion
Headshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Which is normal under higher volumes, right?
Or is that telling me to tweek the volume/gain relationship?
-Confucious
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
thats tellin ya to turn it down, your signal is clipping and damaging your speakers while sounding like crap.  its not cool to have it loud if you can distinguish whats being sang or played.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
The only other thing I can think of is checking your ground on your head-unit.
Headshot 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
OK,
I took the Sub out of the box today. and that Alpine is built like Fort Knox. It can't be that.
Again, I had it smokin' for about 15 minutes today, and fizzz. Out again, no particular reason.
Even with the Sub off (off via head unit button. Holding down AM/Folder - button turns off Sub), I got it to cut out by tapping the dashboard right next to the Head Unit, twice to be sure to be sure.
Soooo, this means that it is surely within the dash environment itself. Best case, a bad ground or hot.
Worst case, a bad head-unit. Which would mean I'd have to get another one, while I send off this one to Kenwood, and get it fixed under warranty.
At least I'll have a backup when the second one goes out!
I don't see how a speedbump can loosen a nut and tape job. But I'm taking it to a pro-shop tomorrow, hopefully they'll take my money to do a diagnosis, since I'll make it known I'm not going to make a purchase.
-Confucious
Alpine Guy 
Posted: July 15, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
ask them to solder all the connections and get it over with, , no more connection worries, , , , if it still craps out, , then sender back.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic