icon

’99 blazer, remote start install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toby12188 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the advice, i'm going to check tonight behind the carpet and stuff. I have another question. My emergency brake release is in the paneling under the steering wheel. I took the screws out of the panel the other day just to take a look and i could only move the panel a few inches in any direction, but there is enough space for me to work with and be mildly annoyed. Am i going to have to try to deal with it or does that release come out of that panel some kind of way? Again any advice is GREATLY appreciated!
I didn't do it. *nodnod*
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

if its the one im thinking of, you have to reach back on the left (follow the cable) and pull the gear the cable pulls on forward some to take off tension... then just slip the cable up and out of the holder it pulls on.  then you can pull the whole bottom piece forward and out.  basically the cable detaches from the mechanism it pulls on, you just have to pull it forward a little to give it slack, then lift the cable out.

MECP certified installer
toby12188 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
ok, now a quick airbag question :) all airbag connections and wires are yellow, right? i think i heard that somewhere.... is it safe to take the bottom off of the steering column? (the part that extends out to the ignition and steering wheel, just to be sure you know exactly what i'm talking about lol) there's nothing in there that i'll mess up by remove the bottom, right? it looks like it should come off after i remove two of those star shaped screws.’99 blazer, remote start install - Page 2 -- posted image.
I didn't do it. *nodnod*
toby12188 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
duh, i forgot. I meant to mention in my last post that the reason i'm asking about airbag stuff is because i see where my starter wire is also yellow. The only yellow wire i see that comes out of the steering column goes to a yellow connection and where the yellow coating ends a white and a green wire come out. :-D so i'm figuring this has got to be airbag stuff.. also where are the passlock wires going to be? is the only place i'm going to be able to mess with those right at the ignition switch or is there someplace else i can tie into them?
I didn't do it. *nodnod*
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
most of the time the airbag stuff will be wrapped in yellow tape or loom, and have a yellow plug, i know of somecars like 99 neons they dont identify the SRS wires and just run them in the same loom as the ignition wires. If you need to disconnect it i belive you have to pull the SRS fuse, wait 30 sec, then you can unplug it. just wait a few sec or mins after you pull the fuse because SRS Systems still hold enough power to blow the airbag usually upto 30sec after power has been lost to the SRS system.
toby12188 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i'm into installing now and i'm looking for a brake wire. There are four wires coming out of the white switch that's attached to the brake pedal, but none are white like the instructions say. there is a fuse for the brake lights under the hood, would that be a good place to hook the lights up to the remote starter? if so how would i go about finding that wire in the fuse block.. ? lol

I didn't do it. *nodnod*
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
grab a meter and look for the only wire that has 12 V on it when the brake pedal is depressed...this is your brake wire
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic